The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  More IE 5 problems with pictures
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 7:20 pm    

I know we've been having problems here with viewing linked pictures, but now I'm having the same problem seeing pictures on dedicated web sites. For example, say website xxx.com has a picture xxx.com/yyy.jpg and all I see is the little box. If I right click and select Show Picture, nothing happens. If I right click and select Properties, copy the picture's link and paste it into my Address box, I see the picture. Then if I go back to the original page, sometimes I can see it and sometimes not.
Does this sound like a browser problem or something that is happening Web wide? I'm running Windows 2000 Professional with IE 5 version 5.00.2920.0000

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 2:38 am    

Win 2K (and NT) are primarily aimed at the commercial world and as such do not have a lot of the multimedia and graphics capability that the consumer 95/98 does. Many PC's are only certified for WIN 95/98 and require 2K/NT specific drivers to function properly. It could be you need some kind of graphic update to view all types of files. Some programs that work fine on 95/98 will not work on 2K/NT or if they do their operation is flakey and you have to make sure all your programs are 2K/NT compatible.

If you just get a "red x" for a graphic it's not you, it's a problem on the web site, as it has a bad link to the graphic or the graphic is missing from their server.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 5:27 am    

Quote:
For example, say website xxx.com has a picture xxx.com/yyy.jpg and all I see is the little box.
Jim, you have to be over 18 to view those kinds of xxx-rated pictures

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 12 June 2000 at 06:33 AM.]

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 8:07 am    

Jack - As I said, when I see the red x I can go to the link the box is tied to and see the picture. How is this a problem with their web site? These are simple JPEG and GIF files, nothing special that would need "a lot of the multimedia and graphics capability that the consumer 95/98 does". I'm running a BP-6 motherboard with twin Celeron 366 MHz CPU's overclocked to 523 MHz (which W2K sees and uses) and 196 MB of RAM. All hardware is W2k approved. I'm running the version 5 of IE that came with W2K and it has been updated to the newest patches through the Windows Critical Update site.

Jim - FYI my 50th birthday was last Saturday. Just because I still have all my hair and you don't, doesn't mean I'm younger than you!

[This message was edited by Jim Smith on 12 June 2000 at 09:08 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 1:59 pm    

When you get the "red x", try a CTRL/F5 to make the screen refresh and see what happens.

Someone once told me balding was a sign of intellegence. Now if I could just figure it out....

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 2:10 pm    

I just tried the Ctl-F5, no difference. This particular picture I can see when I paste the link from Properties but still can't see it from the original page.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 2:28 am    

If this is just one site that's not displaying a pix properly, I'd say they have some kind of problem on the page. Apparently the link to the pix is OK but how they are accessing the pix must be screwy.

What is the URL for that page? I'll se what it does to mine.