The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lacking Storage Space for Steel Wavs?
Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 7:50 pm    

There are numerous places to store files on the web...I have been using www.xdrive.com
www.Driveway.com is another one...also www.idrive.com
xdrive works with windows and you can drag files and folders to it... it has a private and a public folder to store your files..
I maintain only one Gig of memory on my drive C and survive quite well...I store all i can on Floppys...til i get a Cd burner and then I will be set....
Hope this info helps some of you who want to download Mp3 wavs ...and are having problems storing them..

ps you get more memory on xdrive when you refer others to the site and they sign up

Happy Putering Bill in Vegas

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 2:58 am    

I can't get used entrusting my files, whether they contain private data or not. It would seem it makes you reliant and at the mercy of the place it's stored. If they would have an unrecoverable crash, your data is lost. Security wise, your data could become compromised.

Storing files on the corporate LAN file server is a different story, but not to some remote unknown. Beside the price of disk storage has come way down - I've seen high GB drives advertised for less than $200.
If you have an older PC that won't recognize or address drives over a certain amount, you can partition the drive into logical sections that the PC can handle.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 6:28 am    

I use a Zip drive built into my computer and have only used up 2 disks since I bought it a year ago. It almost acts as a hard drive itself with the speed and ease of retrieval. It saved my butt a bunch of times when I had to keep formatting my hard drive before I installed a virgin Windows '98 system.

Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 7:14 am    

So John,Would you recomend a external CD burner over a Zip drive? ..I would...blank CDs here in Vegas at Walmart are 4 for 10 dollars with Jewel cases.
My best friend here just bought a new puter and the CD burner is built in...so he can burn data on it for me..good plan? Bill

------------------

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 7:42 am    

You can buy bulk CD's in a 50 pack spindle for less than $40 at Sam's and I've even seen them for $29.95 on sale. They work just as good as the higher priced CD's.

But if you want to reuse the CD's, such as periodic backups then then rewriteable kind are cheaper in the long run.

erik

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 3:02 am    

John Lacey, im just getting into my new computer. I can't decide whether to buy a zip or CD burner. Zips compress data do they not? Does this compromise sound quality? Also, what happens when you zip an MP3? You are then compressing a compressed file, yes?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 3:47 am    

A "Zip" drive does not "zip" or compress the data. It's just another storage device, or to look at it another way it's a big floppy in that zip disks can hold 100mb, 250mb, etc.

The drawback to zip drives is the price of the zip disks is about $10 ea.

A CD holds approx 650mb of data and if you buy CD's in bulk they are cheap (I saw a Best Buy ad today that had bulk 8X CD's, 50 for $29.95.

A CD burner can also make audio CD's, etc., and they can be played on any CD player.

I had a Zip drive (came with the PC) and I've replaced it with a CD burner. The CD burner is much more versitle and gets much more use than the zip drive ever did.

erik

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 4:29 am    

Jack,
Thanks for the info. I did not mean to confuse a zip disk with a zip file. I realize they are two seperate things. Still, i thought i had read that a zip storage device involved data compression. Apparently, this is not true. I will look into getting a multi-format CD writer. Or even a CD dupe machine.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2000 11:10 pm    

I'm pretty much of a pc novice, but I went out and bought and installed a Western
Digital 15.3 GB Hard Drive; I simply made it
a slave to COh Well. It's in 2 parts, and now I
have quite a bit of free memory.
It was really quite easy to install.
FWIW...
Chip to Shore

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 5:05 am    

Converting the WAV files to MP3 will save you a lot of space. I use MusicMatch to convert and play MP3 and WAV files.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten

Bill Nauman

Cresco,Pa,USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 10:01 am    

Incidently I am currently compressing raw wavs into WMA format which plays back on Windows Media Player or Winamp ...Im getting the whole song down to about 200k..with CD DA easy extractor...great compression program that also extracts tracks from CDS
Bill in Vegas

------------------

John Gretzinger

Canoga Park, CA
Post  Posted 18 May 2000 10:08 am    

One comment on CD-RW and audio CDs. Most players do not recognize the CD-RW format. Some of the new ones do, but they will be labeled as such.

The reason is that CD players expect to see a closed file system, CD-RW format is open. The audio will play on most computers as the CD drives don't care about the file system.

John