The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  USB ? Scanner?
James Smith

Post  Posted 14 May 2000 6:16 am    

I am looking to purchase a scanner. I noticed that they require a USB. What is a USB ? Also, if you have a suggestion for a low res fairly fast scanner I would appreciate info on that as well. I have a Gateway thats about 14 months old. Do you think it has a USB? What does it look like?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 7:36 am    

USB (Universal Serial Bus) is the new preferred I/O for a lot of devices. It's one of those things that was "borrowed" from the MAC's. Windows 98 supports USB and if your PC came with WIN98 it probably has one or two USB ports. They are a small rectangular connector and probably even labeled USB. Usually they are on the back panel of the PC, however some manufacturers, put them on the front panel.

Your PC's manual should tell you if they are there and where they are.

Scanners come in various price ranges. Generally they are like anything else - you get what you pay for. I've seen them as low as $59 (not USB) but they were slow.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 8:15 am    

Further to what Jack has said, in some (lots) cases, if running an AT motherboard, the use of USB will require the puchase of a connector made especially for the brand of Motherboard in your system. This consists of a cable with a plug that plugs into the USB connector on the board and a metal tab with possibly two USB hubs on it that goes in the back just like any other added devices.(modem, sound card etc) Also, USB support MUST be enabled in your CMOS or it will not work.

If your motherboard is ATX, then chances are the USB hubs are already in place on the back of your computer. ATX boards have most devices built in- - sound card, video card, etc.

If you want fast scanning capabilities, get a SCSI scanner. Much faster than USB but require the installation of a SCSI card, which usually comes with the scanner.

I have a Umax in USB and my steel teacher has the same in SCSI. His runs circles around mine as far as speed goes. Both came with the same bundled software tho', which does a good job.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Clarence Wilson

morgantown wv usa
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 9:05 am    

I have a Gateway and have a Microtek scanner
plus a Kodak 280 Camera hooked to my usb ports. I don't understand what is meant by
fast, but is 20 seconds fast?. Using a USP port simplifies things. I have my cd burner
connected to a SCSI card.

CEW

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 1:33 pm    

Clarence:
You're right, USB certainly does simplify things. Almost makes hooking devices up to a computer idiot proof, operative word, ALMOST!
Murphy's law still can rear it's ugly head, even with USB!
Most important thing is to read the hookup instructions that come with the device you want to install and to read it very carefully. It's too easy to screw up with USB.
Unlike normal or pci bus devices, with a lot of USB devices, you load the drivers FIRST,re-boot, then hook up and turn on the device.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 2:28 pm    

I have an HP 5200C scanner, and it works with both your printer port and USB. It makes it easy to set up (no pins to bend!) and it is "hot-swappable", meaning that you can unplug the cable from your computer while the computer is on. You cannot do that with a printer port. I must point out, if you get a scanner that supports printer-port AND USB connections, you will probably have to spend another few dollars for a USB or Printer cable.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 4:47 am    

you might consider a Microtek X6 with scsi interface. The scsi board is included with the scanner. Works like a dream, also under Nt4, win 95, win 98.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten

Clarence Wilson

morgantown wv usa
Post  Posted 15 May 2000 5:10 am    

My scanner is the Microtek V6USL flatbed USB/SCSI model. My other Microtek lasted 3
years and was a nice scanner. The light went
out. A new light didn't fix it, so I junked it. My Adaptec card can take several units, but I haven't had to put the scanner on it. Just the HP CD WRITER.

CEW

------------------