The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Making your own guestbook interactive
Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 10 May 2000 7:18 pm    

Hi ,
I was wondering if there is any software available to download which allows you to take short messages from visitors to your web-space and then display them for other visitors to read from that site automatically ?
My searches haven't proved very fruitful at all . Can anyone also recommend a good search engine they like using most ?
Thanks in advance ,
Ingo .

erik

Post  Posted 11 May 2000 1:29 am    

I think i know what you mean, but i'm not sure. You probably need custom CGI scripts. But if you are using someone else's guestbook service you won't be able to alter their code beyond the parameters they set. You might just try the ‘embed’ code. Use HTML brackets and write (embed src=put address here). But you'd still have to dedicate a page to it.

What do you mean by search engine? Do you want to search yourself, or put one on your page? I like AskJeeves myself. You can put an AskJeeves box on your page. There is one service that will create a search engine for -your- page for a small fee.

Ingo Mamczak

Luimneach , Eire.
Post  Posted 11 May 2000 3:27 pm    

Hello erik ,
Thank you very much for the reply .
Yes that cgi sounds like it's what I'm looking for . The page I have at the moment is just a normal html page and only uses the " mailto: " command to send me the visitors comments via e-mail . It's not a guestbook service . My knowledge of html isn't very good and I'm wondering how does the " embed " command work ? Would it be in place of the Mailto: command , along with a new page to dedicate the new messages to ?

The search engine information is just for myself , I wont be putting that up on my site . Recently I was searching for information on repairing a musical instrument and I had no luck with the search results and another forum member was kind enough to post a very good link for me to try . I had missed it completely with my search .
Thank you again for your reply erik , I appreciate it
Ingo .

Jeff Agnew

Dallas, TX
Post  Posted 12 May 2000 8:08 am    

Ingo,

Here is a