The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Web software, suggestions?
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 4:11 pm    

I'm a veteran desktop publisher/editor/typesetter guy and am gettin interested in creating web sites for fun and profit.

My experience is with PageMaker, Quark and Ventura Publisher software, both Macs and PCs.

I've recently purchased MS FrontPage 2000 and have spent a little time with the tutorial.

I'm wondering if anyone has any comments, suggestions for a novice.

John Russell

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 4:41 pm    

Hello, John:
I use a program called 14all. I downloaded it from tucows to try and liked it so much I registered it. This was after trying Netscape Communicator, Hotdog Professional, Front Page98 and several others I can't even remember.
Although it is a text type (notepad) of program it does give you a chance to see what you are doing in a web browser format.
I prefer the text type of program as it gets you used to the various tags used in html and used to working with text so that it is much easier for you when it comes to updating pages. You log into your server thru FTP and in the 2 window ftp program, bring up the page you want to update, make the changes, save it and send it up to your server. Saves a lot of time, IMHO, if you do a lot of updating.

The main thing tho', is to do your work in something YOU are comfortable working in. I guess that is why there are so many web design programs on the market today.

It can be fun, but, it can also be an awful lot of aggravation!!

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 6:02 am    

John;
I have used FrontPage 98 and now use FrontPage 2000 for www.buddyemmons.com
If your server has the Front Page extensions installed, it's fairly easy to build pages and best of all it's quick!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 10:13 pm    

If you're into serious web design, you might also consider the high end programs like Macromedia's Dreamweaverand it's image editing companion program Fireworks.

These powerful programs are available for both platforms, and are a favorite of many pro web designers. You can create nice pages fairly easily with a program like FrontPage, but it's limited, and it sometimes tends to put in tags that only Internet Explorer can read, and Netscape ignores. If you're proficient in PageMaker and Quark, you probably won't find these programs intimidating.

Another recommendation; learn HTML. If you're doing web sites at a professional level, You'll need to tweak the code sometime or other, probably quite often. Many designers prefer to do raw coding in a text editor instead of using a layout program at all. There are many good books on HTML, but my current favorite is "HTML 4 for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro.

erik

Post  Posted 6 May 2000 7:47 pm    

ZDnet has an excellent review of the top web editors right here.