The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Networking problems
RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 4:13 am    

I'm running Intel's AnyPoint home network on my two computers at home. This allows one to act as the server, providing print and Internet service to the other as well as providing file sharing. I've been very happy with it up until last night.

I'm having a problem with Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer). If I try to open it up, or if I click on the "My Computer" icon, the system just hangs. I can do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE and I get a message the Windows Explorer is not responding. The only thing I can do at that point is to kill the application.

I think it's some kind of networking problem because when I boot up the computer (the server computer) and the box comes up prompting for the password for Microsoft Networking, if I just hit Escape instead of signing in, Windows Explorer works OK. Of course all network functionality is gone, so that isn't a reasonable solution.

I was trying to figure out if there's some way to reinstall or reconfigure the Microsoft Networking. I'll also mention that if I go to settings/control panel and click on the Network icon, the computer hangs up as well.

I've already tried reinstalling Windows 98 as well as the AnyPoint Home Network software. Both installations indicated that they performed correctly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
users.erols.com/rickrichtmyer

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 4:45 am    

Rick- what functionality does the Intel software provide that networking the units using Win98's networking components does not? Is it possible you could "lose" the third party stuff, therebye eliminating a layer of complexity in troubleshooting?
Just wondering...

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 5:05 am    

Dave,

The reason I'm running the Intel software is that I'm using Intel AnyPoint PCI cards for my Ethernet connection. If you're not familiar with AnyPoint, it uses standard phone lines for the network cabling. That meant that I didn't have to go snaking Ethernet cable through the walls of my house. The Ethernet/phone connections can coexist on the same line, so I can use the same phone line that I dial out on (cable and DSL are not available where I live). I really have the feeling that if I could somehow re-initialize the Microsoft Networking component of the system by setting it up from the start again, that I might be able to ge things going. But that's just a gut feeling. I'm an applications software guy, not a Network guy (That's what you are, right?). The Intel Software consists of two pieces. One is the drive and printer mapping part, the other is Internet Sharing Software. At this point, neither seems to work. When I setup the Intel software, they said that I could use Windows' built-in Internet Sharing software, but I think I still have to use their drive/print sharing software.

Up until yesterday, it's been working great.

Another thing worth mentioning is that when I boot up, I do get messages saying that it is connecting to the shared drive partitions on the other computer. They aren't accessible though.

As of yet, I haven't checked things from the client computer. I plan to this evening but ran out of time last night.

Thanks for your help,
Rick

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2000 12:19 am    

Rick, Don't know if this is something u checked, but have any of the Internet option settings in the control panel changed?

Rich Paton

Santa Maria, CA.,
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2000 2:10 am    

Sounds like "explorer/my computer" can't handle one of your network drives for some reason.

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2000 1:36 pm    

Rick,
Resetting the network settings would not hurt anything, other that you having to sit through 2 reboots. I would first clear the settings(reboot) then reinstall them(reboot). This sometimes works. What protocol does this work off? I would assume NETBEUI since you probably can't use TCPIP on a little home network like this. Also check that your ethernet cards have the correct binding to whatever protocol you are using(while in the network settings).

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 5:42 am    

Chris,

NETBEUI sounds familiar. I think I saw some reference to that when I set the thing up. As far as the bindings/protocol, it seems to me that since the network software and the network cards came as a package, they should agree.

One thing that I've noticed is that when I deinstall the whole thing and then start over, it still "remembers" the names that I assigned to the server and the client, rather than my having to make something up like I did during initial setup. This sounds to me as though something is being "left behind" when I uninstall the network software (with their uninstaller). I have this feeling that if I could kill everything network related on the computer and then reload from scratch, things might sort themselves out. It did work perfectly for about three months.

Since my previous posts, I have tried uninstalling the network software and leaving it uninstalled. The computer works fine without it so I'm 100% convinced that it's a network problem.

Thanks for the help,
Rick

[This message was edited by RickRichtmyer on 11 April 2000 at 06:44 AM.]

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2000 8:37 pm    

I assume you have not tried or used windows 98 and the winproxy software. We have DSL and one computer designated as the server, which still functions normally, and 4 others under it which are connected under winproxy thru a hardware hub and cable. Any computer can be on the net at any site with no conflicts. My son set it up, and it works just fine. The only requirement is the right LAN card installed and the proxy server must be on.
Ken

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 2:34 am    

Ken,

This is more than an Internet access problem, so I don't think a proxy server would be of any help. My problem is with the Local Area Network. In fact, even during the times it was causing the most problems I could still access the Internet.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
users.erols.com/rickrichtmyer

johnnyb

Wendell, NC, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 5:40 am    

[This message was edited by johnnyb on 04 June 2005 at 07:29 AM.]

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 7:02 am    

Johnnyb,

Wouldn't that show up as a device conflict in the device manager? I've checked that. And it was working fine previously. I didn't add anything new that might try to snatch the IRQ.

Thanks,
Rick

johnnyb

Wendell, NC, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 10:41 am    

[This message was edited by johnnyb on 04 June 2005 at 07:30 AM.]

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 2:37 pm    

Johnnyb,

Thanks for taking the time to type in that long explanation. You've made some good points and I'll give your idea a shot.

Thanks again!

Rick

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2000 6:44 am    

The problem has been fixed (I hope). After trying out a number of things, including the suggestions so kindly supplied by fellow Forumites, I broke down and called Intel customer support. It took the guy about an hour and a half to figure out what the problem was, but in the long run, I have changed two things and evereything seems to be working now.

Those two things were:

1) The CD-ROM drive on the client machine was mapped to the server. I removed that drive from the mapping.

2) The computer was connected o the phone line through a surge suppressor. The phone line is used as the network connection in this system and the tech said that it could interfere with the network connection.

Thanks for everyone's help.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
Good News