The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Home Networking
Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 11:06 am    

I am thinking about networking my house and was wondering what the best deal as far as speed and ease of use would be. It it a multi-story home and want something that is reliable and doesn't "stick out" (like wires running against the walls). I am quite interested in Intelogis' Powerline technology--data is sent through the power lines (Wow, how did anyone figure out how to do that?), and although it is rather slow (for a network--128kb/sec), it seems pretty easy to set up.

Any siggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan

------------------
Music is like a never-ending story, and since there is no official "perfect", if you aren't happy with your playing, improve it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2000 2:19 pm    

128Kb is slow for a LAN, even a home type.

As a (retired) network tech, I would avoid anything that uses existing electrical wiring. Beside the potential for a power surge or lightning hit to short something in an interface module and wipe out hardware, there's potential for problems from the physical electrical wiring and connections.

RickRichtmyer

Beautiful Adamstown, MD
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2000 2:54 am    

Up until two days ago, I would have recommended Intel's Anypoint home network. As you may can see on another recent post, I'm having some sort of problems that seem to relate to it. Before that, it was working great (for about two months). If worse comes to worse, I'll call Intel's customer support. They're pretty good. The Anypoint network operates over the phone line and there's a new wireless model as well. The speed on the phone line version is either 1 mbps or 10 mbps depending on which model you get. There are several models including a parallel port version, a USB version and a PCI card version (which is what I have). By the way, the phone line can still be used normally, even while the network is running. The Anypoint network allows print sharing, drive sharing, and Internet sharing between up to 25 PC's. I found the best prices for the system at Egghead.

------------------
Rick Richtmyer
users.erols.com/rickrichtmyer