The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Midi drum tracks
Tony Harris

England
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2000 3:34 am    

I'm thinking of recording some swing tunes on steel and guitar, and using pre-programmed drum tracks - I have an Alesis DM4 rack unit with a good real-sounding kit in it which I'm convinced would sound real enough if I could only get some good midi drum patterns. If I buy some 'Jazz favourites' on SMF, do you think I could use the drum tracks? Is there any copyright problem here if I decide to make and sell an album using them?

erik

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2000 5:34 pm    

I write songs/tunes and do my own drum programming but i do know that there are SMF drum patterns that can be purchased for use in song construction. Most are license free as long as you are the original _purchaser_.

Pre-programmed SMF songs are protected by copyright, and you would need permission and/or license to use even part of them.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2000 12:51 am    

Tony
With Cubase or similar sequencers it's a piece of cake to program good drum patterns.
It't the first thing we teach students to do.
You would need to get into some of the more complex aspects of Groove Quantise for swing tunes- could take you a couple of days to get the hang of it- after that it's all your own work!
Email me and I'll give you some online tuition! (unless you live in the Midlands- when we can sort in out in the the real world)

------------------
Cheers!