The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Analog to Digital
Dan Crook

Cypress, TX, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 12:26 pm    

I am converting a few old LP's and cassette tapes to wave files in order to burn them on CD's. I'm using SoundForge to view, edit and normilize the files. I know the software comes with a few mastering tools but how can I pass the wave thru an effects series (be it compressor,EQ, or delay)before burning the CD? Or do I have to do this while recording on to the hard drive?

------------------
D. Crook
Left-Handed Super-Pro

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 1:16 pm    

Get GoldWave (or a similar program) and it has filters, EQ's, reverb's, pitch shifters, etc., to do what you want with the signal.

GoldWave is shareware but worth the price to buy it. I bought it about 3 months ago and it was $60 canadian and the exchange rate at the time was less than $40 US.

GoldWave's web page is http://www.goldwave.com

[This message was edited by Jack Stoner on 12 March 2000 at 01:16 PM.]

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 12:48 am    

There are absolutely hundreds of effects available on Soundforge- which I think is a great program- many of them are available free on magazine cover discs or the Net.
They call them Plug-ins, you just load them up and they appear on your Soundforge Toolbar. I'm slightly surprised you have not got some already. They all make permanent changes to your wave files.(You can back up the originals)
Having got your WAV files,with effects, you can run them from a Soundforge playlist or use something like CD Architect to set up the tracks and titles for your CD.

------------------
Cheers!

[This message was edited by Dave Boothroyd on 13 March 2000 at 12:51 AM.]

Dan Crook

Cypress, TX, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 12:17 pm    

Thanks for the info Dave. The software is new and I hadnt been to their site to see what's available for Plug-Ins yet. As I am getting to know SoundForge the more I like it. I'm sure with some add-in it will work great.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2000 6:34 pm    

Dan:
Another great program for this is one called CD Spin Doctor. It comes with Adaptecs CD writer 4.0 Plus.
You can record to CD directly from cassette/record player. Options include getting rid of hiss/pop etc. and also equalizing the recorded volume levels, which is very handy if you are recording off of two different albums/cassettes.

------------------
Rebelâ„¢
ICQ 614585