The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  autorun....not working
Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 10:12 am    

Just lately, the autorun doesn't take effect
when I stick in a CD. It tries and then gives
up. I read somewhere that the autorun should be loaded at the top of the memory or at the bottom. Anyone else have this happen?

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 12:38 pm    

This problem is possibly due to a variety of problems. First, it could be caused by your CD drive over-working itself and just doesn't do anything. This is not the case if you can still pull up the contents of the CD. If you can pull up the contents of the CD without getting an error message from Windows (usually if you encounter the spinning error, Windows interprets the CD as an audio CD).

If this is not the case, then odds are, AutoPlay is not enabled. If you don't have TweakUI installed on your computer (There will be an icon in the Control Panel), then let me know. I have some instructions for how to get TweakUI, and they can be viewed at http://www.annoyances.org/win98/features/tweakui.html. Feel free to e-mail me at bubba_jonathan@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Jonathan Cullifer

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 3:45 pm    

Check to see if the autorun feature is enabled. go to the System Manager and then Device Manager. Click on the CD's and then click on the drive that you want to check on.

There could be a conflict between the CD and the CD Burner. Make sure both drives show as "working properl" in the Device Manager.

You can access The System Manager by RIGHT clicking on "My Computer" and then LEFT clicking on Properties.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 5:41 pm    

Come CD-burning software it turns Autorun off at installation time. That's because Autorun can interrupt the burn, and make you waste a CD.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2000 7:00 am    

I never thought about it that way, but b0b are most certainly right. If you want the CD drive to take the same action as AutoRun would, only difference being, AutoRun is OFF, just double-click My Computer. Then right-click on the CD drive and click AutoPlay. If you do not see an 'AutoPlay' option that means that the CD doesn't have AutoRun capabilities. Let me know if this works for you.

Jonathan

------------------
"We get up at twelve and start to work at one, take an hour's lunch and then at two were done."

[This message was edited by Jonathan Cullifer on 11 March 2000 at 07:01 AM.]

Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 3:58 am    

Yeah, My CD's do have the autorun in them.
BUT, if like Bob says, this could interupt a burn and my software has it turned off, I'd
rather start them manually. Thanks for the
answers guys, I appreciate the help.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2000 7:15 am    

Both of mine have the autorun function enabled and it's not really a problem. When I'm doing a "burn" I don't have a CD in the reader drive, unless I'm copying the CD.

Interruptions can be caused by other programs running, such as anti-virus programs, system scheduler, etc. When I'm doing an audio CD, I turn off or disable stuff such as McAfee, system scheduler, etc.