The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Netscape screwup
Joe Delaronde

Selkirk, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2000 8:28 pm    

I downloaded Netscape Communicator 4.7 last night and installed it. The bloody thing took over everything. My Internet Explorer Browser boots up Netscape Communicator .
All my sites are tagged with the Netscape Communicator icon. To top it all off, the Netscape Communicator will not load the internet. I don't have any more Microsoft. Boo! Hoo! I get on line through my email Outlook Express.
What the hell is going on?????????????
Joe

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 5:10 am    

Netscape is now owned by AOL. AOL has a history of "taking over" PC's and screwing up other software. You can try uninstalling Netscape, and if the uninstaller is set up correctly it should bring you back to where you were before you installed Netscape.

Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 7:33 am    

Yes, do as Jack says, then run your old browser so it can reset itself as the default. If you install Nutscrape again, use the custom install option and it lets you answer no to all the default settings. That way you can have it and use it (I find it useful occasionally even though it's slower than IE) but IE will be the default browser.

------------------
disclaimer: Just my opinion.!
Music page

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2000 7:28 am    

Well, no need to uninstall Netscape if you don't want to. Just right-click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop and click Properties. At the top of the window that pops up is a bunch of tabs. Click on the one that says Programs. At the bottom of the window is a checkbox that says "Internet Explorer should check to see if it's the default browser." Make sure that box is checked. Click OK. Then open Internet Explorer by double-clicking on the desktop icon. You should see a box that pops up saying "Internet Explorer is not the default browser. Would you like it to be that way?" or something like that. Click "Yes."

Outlook Express is a different animal, but the change is essentially the same. Fire up Outlook Express and click Tools>Options. At the bottom-right are 2 buttons that say "Make Default". Click on both of them. Then click OK.

If you get a "Not default" message from Netscape, to keep it from re-occupying everything, click "No" or whatever.

Best of luck,
Jonathan