The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  copy,cut and paste? How to
dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 5:09 pm    

Could anyone tell me how to do these different things in a way that even I can understand?
thanks for any help that you guys and gals can give.

------------------
Dan Layne

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 5:22 pm    

dlayne...click on your START tab. Go to
PROGRAMS...go to WINDOWS EXPLORER.
You should see sort of a split screen. The right screen has everything the left screen has, except the right screen is more in depth.
Simply pick out the program/file you want to cut & paste, or COPY & paste. The CUT deletes the file from it's source, where the COPY sends it to where your going and retains it in where you've been.
But you have to push your pointer to the files involved until they are HIGHLIGHTED.
From this point you can either CUT and/or
COPY......or even hold LEFT mouse down and drag & drop...that is the same as CUT.
Actually, someone else may explain this a little better. FWIW....Chip

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 5:47 pm    

Hey Dan--I'm going to assume that you are talking about editing text. You can practice highlighting right here on this page.
--This is for PC systems--
Hold your right button and move the mouse/cursor over words, sentences, paragraphs, whatever. Get the hang of highlighting single letters, whole lines, swiping up, down, across. When you highlight something you want, release the button. You should get a pop-up menu. Select Copy. Open up a text program--notepad, wordpad, whatever. Right click and select Paste. You should see what you highlighted before on the page now. Note--If you have a Clipboard icon on top of the program, that is the same as Paste. The clipboard contains whatever is the last thing you copied.
Cut is the same as copy except that it removes the highlighted item from its original place in the text while Copy leaves the original highlighted item unaffected.
BTW--if you are highlighting stuff and you want to undo the highlight, just left click your mouse.
Hope this isn't too confusing.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:24 pm    

Dan I think the easiest way I`ve found is to,Highlight what you want to copy,on the keyboard push Ctrl,C at the same time.Then click where you want copy to and hit Ctrl,V

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:45 pm    

Cut, Copy and Paste all use an invisible part of the operating system called the clipboard. The clipboard can hold a lot of different kinds of data (text, pictures, files, directories, sounds, etc.), but it can only hold one thing at a time.

When you use the Cut command, whatever is currently selected is deleted, and it is put into the clipboard. When you use the Copy command, a copy of whatever is currently selected is put in the clipboard.

Whenever you use Cut or Copy, the contents of the clipboard are replaced by your new data. The old contents are discarded.

After using Cut or Copy, you use the Paste command to put a copy of whatever is in the clipboard into wherever your focus is. (The "focus" can be a window, a text insertion point, etc.) You can Paste more than once to create multiple copies of the clipboard data.

You can Cut or Copy from one application, switch programs, and then Paste into another. This works because the invisible clipboard is a part of Windows (or MacOS) that all programs have access to.

Sometimes Cut, Copy and Paste are available in places where there isn't even a menu. try using the right mouse button to bring up a "context menu", and often you'll see the commands there. Also, the keyboard shortcuts for the command in Windows work in almost every application:
  • Ctrl+X for Cut
  • Ctrl+C for Copy
  • Ctrl+V for Paste

If I told you any more, I'd have to buy you a labcoat and a pocket protector.

------------------
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 02 March 2000 at 07:47 PM.]

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 8:40 pm    

Hey thanks to all for your information,I think I know what you are talking about and I'm gonna give it a try,all I can do is make a mis
take and if I can't correct itI'll be back. Seriously you guys are the best and what can I say about the Forum that has'nt already been said,it's the best thing since sliced bread.

------------------
Dan Layne

Joe Law

Leslie ,GA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 5:55 am    

Dan,
One thing that I find useful that was not mentioned is when you go to highlight text , go to the beginning of passage and when the arrow turns to an I beam hold down the shift key and go to the last thing you want to copy and click and release then click edit copy(especially useful if you are copying a long passage).
And then if you are wanting to email this passage to someone hold down the control,shift and 2 key altogether and your address book will come up so you can paste it and send email all in the same motion.
Hope this helps some , sure does work for me.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 12:30 pm    

Joe that is a new one on me. That is very cool! Thanks!

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 1:24 pm    

Thanks all....I'm definitely printing these
pages. Great tips.
Chip

dlayne

OH
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 1:58 pm    

Hey thanks Joe! How to e-mail was my next question you fellows are a great bunch to help out.

Went to my local "Fun Store" but could'nt find one of those "Pocket Protectors" but I found a real cool "Lab Coat"! Thanks b0b

------------------
Dan Layne

Joe Law

Leslie ,GA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 4:28 pm    

By the way while we're on the subject, Ctrl+shift+1 will get you the message center if you are so inclined to file your copy for safe keeping.
Now I'm through let's get back to the forum.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 6:11 pm    

Here's another one that's handy!

Did you ever come to a screen that you'd like to print a copy of, only to have no "print option"? (That is, the print icon isn't highlighted, and going to "file-print" doesn't work either?)

Well, this one ALWAYS works...

When you're on the active screen that you want to print a copy of, simply hold the CTRL key, and push the PRINT SCREEN key. This copies the whole active window to the clipboard. Now open Microsoft Paint (or Publisher), go to EDIT, and click PASTE. Voila! The entire window is now on your screen, and you can modify it, or print it as-is.

By the way, this is the way they get all those "screen shots" they put in the "how-to" books!

Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2000 9:56 pm    

Actually, it's the left mouse button you're supposed to hold down, not the right one. Jon was just thinking faster than he could type.

------------------
disclaimer: Just my opinion.!
Music page