The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  FAX in Windows 98
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 5:00 pm    

I have a hunch that you can set up a Windows 98 computer to accept FAXes without adding any additional software. Possible? If so, how?

I have an HP Pavilion and there's a telephone jack on it. I used to use it for Internet access, but I'm not using it for that anymore.

------------------
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra S-8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:07 pm    

Bob, I use Windows Messaging , supplied with W98 .
go to start, programs , windows messaging. It will walk you throught the start up.
I put the icon in my qwik launch tool bar to open it. it will answer auto or manual, but your modem can't be in use for it to send or recv.
It has multiple cover sheet memory, an address book, all the bells & whistles.
good luck

------------------
Bo Borland
All my gear is "vintage" now.

Rick Morris

Toledo,Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:10 pm    

I'm running win98 here and don't see any way
of doing it without some sort of fax program.
go to http://tucows.igs.net/fax95.html
There's a freeware fax program called "callcenter" that looks like it might be what you'd want to use.

------------------

[This message was edited by Rick Morris on 02 March 2000 at 07:12 PM.]

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:18 pm    

Rick , Windows Messaging is the fax program, it should be near the bottom of your programs list off of the START menu

Rick Morris

Toledo,Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:31 pm    

Bo, I can't find that anywhere. I even looked
in windows setup in control panel and don't see it as an option! I must of got shortchanged

Rick

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:55 pm    

Microsoft is trying to get out of the fax business. windows messaging is still part of win 98 but doesn't always load off the typical install. If you have the CD for the program, it's on there, you just have to load it manually. At least that's what the MS rep had me do when my old version corrupted.

John

------------------
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 7:57 pm    

Rick , did you look at the mail icon on control panel??

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 8:24 pm    

See article in PC World Dec 99 pp45-46. If ya need it I'll email article to ya..

clue: browse Win98 CD and goto tools\oldwin95\message\us. Dbl clik on wms-fax.exe which installs the Windows messaging components that the fax prog needs. Reboot and return to same location, then dbl-clik on awfax.exe which loads the fax applet. Reboot to make applet available.

------------------
ree-oo-dee-doo

Rick Morris

Toledo,Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 8:49 pm    

Bo,

That's what I was looking for in control panel to begin with, but I don't even see that. I went to add/remove programs>windows setup to see if it was an option I didn't have loaded from the windows cd. I don't see it as an option there. What John said about MS getting out of the fax business sounds familiar like I've heard that before, so maybe my version of win98 doesn't have that included. No big deal for me, my box came with a fax program loaded, and I don't use it that much anyway.

Rick

------------------

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2000 9:09 pm    

Okay, I'll try that tomorrow. If it looks like it's working I'll broadcast the number here and maybe some of you can send me FAXes, okay?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 4:32 am    

If you have an "oem" version of windows, some of the utilities are not included. My older PC, with a "retail" version of WIN98 had several utilites that my new Compaq does not have. I noticed several complaints on the Compaq support page about things missing and Compaq's response was that Microsoft will not let them install everything on the OEM version.

That may explain why some have it and some don't.

Most name brand home systems come with a fax program, so it's really not a problem.

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 5:04 am    

I, too, have W98 and can't find the FAX
program on PROGRAMS. I think I may have a corrupted W98 Cd-rom that came with the computer and when I took the PC to be upgraded with more RAMs, the pc tech installed a latest version of the W98 CD on my hard drive. I haven't looked there yet.

But the big question is: I have also a HP
pinter, scanner, fax machine. Is it better to receive faxes thru the 'machine' or thru the PC? Or is it just personal preference.
Either way, if I'm online, the fax can't get thru.
Chip

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 6:41 am    

Hi Chip, Whether to use the HP or your pc to recv. faxes is up to you of course.
I use the PC , that way I only print out what I need to , the rest get stored in files much the same as "Outlook Express'" mail program.
I get proof copies of my ad design layouts the same as email, then I proof read, edit , make changes, stamp them as "ok" or "rejected" & send them back to my composition department .I can also "highlite" in yellow any things I need to .. It is a very usful tool for me, it lets me work from my home office , and practice PSG too!!!

------------------
Bo Borland
All my gear is "vintage" now.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2000 8:31 am    

Quote:
Whether to use the HP or your pc to recv. faxes is up to you of course. I use the PC , that way I only print out what I need to , the rest get stored in files much the same as "Outlook Express'" mail program.

RIght. Most incoming faxes aren't worth wasting paper on anyway.

Another good reason to use the PC rather than the HP is thatthe HP often fails to print, giving bogus "out of paper" massages. If your received fax is safely in the PC then you can try to print as many times as needed until the HP actually produces a copy.

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2000 8:43 am    

It depends; with Windows 98 release #1 you use Windows Messenging, and with SE you use the QuickLink Message Center. If you have Outlook 2000, then you use the software included there, which is described in the help section. I know little about the WM, but can help you with the QuickLink and the Outlook 2000 software.

Jonathan