The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Havin fun with Run-time errors:Þ HALP!
Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2000 4:02 pm    

Been going around and around (ChuckBerry?) with R/T errors every time I have several things open on my task bar. (I have 128M Ram on a Gateway 450) When I start closing pages and moving back, I lock up and get Runtime error 216@00002938, clik onnit, then- Runtime error 216@000043F2. Then I have to reboot 'cuz I can't clear the error. I was absent that day at hexadecimal school so I don't know where to turn to stop this madness or how to find problem. (68%free sys.resources)

Ronney Bailey

Albuquerque,New,Mexico
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 1:50 am    

Try running a Scan disk of your hard drive sounds like a hard drive error also do a disk
defragment and see if that helps.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 3:18 am    

I don't know if this will really help runtime errors, but you need to free up some more system resources. 68% is relatively low, even with 128megs of ram. I have a Compaq Presario with 128 and as it was shipped from Compaq it was in the low 70's in system resources at boot up and I ran into some conflict problems, I now have 86% free at startup. Run msconfig and check the startup for items that you can safely delete from the start up. e.g. RealAudio, you don't need any of that in start up and it will still auto detect and start if needed. A lot of programs will install and put a link in the startup file and put an icon in the lower right task tray. Not all, but a good majority of them are like the RealAudio - you don't need to have it startup and they hog system resources.

Increasing the system resources will also allow your modem to work better, if it is a PCI type.

You also need to figure out which program or application is causing the runtime errors. Also keep unnecessary windows closed.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 8:35 am    

I've just learned recently, too, that minimizing the number of icons on the screen will increase system resources. I've got my desktop down to about 4 icons and boot up my explorer and outlook express from the lower left taskbar. I'm at about 93% that way.

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2000 9:53 pm    

Thanks guys...Yeah Ronnie, I ran those routines first thing but to no avail.

John-OK, as u advised, I eliminated a bunch of the icons on the desktop, and cleaned up my start up stuff, and have been up and running fine for a few hrs. I didn't realize that even with 128M RAM, that that was causing probs. I'm at 91% now and just screaming. I also got a bunch of tips from guru Jeff Levy, and I feel pretty cocky at the moment........Anybody wanna race? heh heh! Close 'er up and mark me down as another satisfied PSG'er! Buenos tatas..

------------------
ree-oo-dee-doo