The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  L-910 p.u. overloads on plucking 10th string
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2004 2:57 pm    

I was wondering if I am the only one this is happening to, or if it is a more common problem?

I have mounted BL-910s on my Emmons P-P. I have lowered the pickups to about 3/16" under the strings (as far down as they will go), yet, if I pull on the 10th string, on the E9 or C6 neck, and let her go hard, the pickup itself overloads and compresses the output!

I have removed all other electronic devices from the loop, except for the volume pedal and Nashville 400s amp. To prove that it's not the amp I turned the input volume way down, and reduced the master to half. I back off the volume pedal to a reasonable level, and let the 10th string go, and the compression occurs. It does not seem to occur on the other strings.

Does this sound like a situation where I need to shorten the coil springs under the pickup and lower it even more? The overall volume has dropped off already, when I pick normally, from my lowering it to -3/16".

Or, could it be a defective pickup? The C6 exhibits almost the same compression, but not as bad.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
1983 Rosewood Emmons D10 Push-Pull, with 8 pedals and 9 knee levers, Lawrence L-910 pickups and aluminum necks. Nashville 400 amp with Peavey Mod. Emmons pedalbar mounted, and Goodrich LDR floor volume pedals.
I use and endorse Jagwire Strings and accessories.

Keep Steelin' but don't get caught!

Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2004 9:05 pm    

Wiz, I have 910's on both necks of my guitar as well. Both are set at 3/16ths on the bass side. I have no problems with them. Since you seem to be experiencing the same problem with both pick-ups I seriously doubt the 910's are at fault(the odds of both pick-ups being defective in some way is extremely slim). When you say that compression is cutting in, are you referring to the DDT compression on the Nashville?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2004 10:15 pm    

quote:
When you say that compression is cutting in, are you referring to the DDT compression on the Nashville?

Larry;
No. The amp is set to a very low volume and I am backing off the volume pedal. There is nothing between the amp input, other than the passive volume pedal (500 k ohm pot), and all effects are pulled from the effects loop. DDT cuts in at high volume levels. I conduct these tests at very low volume (a few watts. The pickups themselves are overloading, believe it or not. I just was wondering if this happens to anybody else. It only occurs when I use my thumb to pull and release the 10th string, like a bass player does, on either neck, but mostly on E9.
Weird, Some kind of hysterisus overload, caused by excessive magnetic drive within the induction coil. I use Jagwire .036 wound for my E9 10th string.
I will investigate some more, but it is definitely a problem for me. Maybe the pickup needs to be moved farther away from string #10.

I never had this problem with the George L's I had before, and sold.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
1983 Rosewood Emmons D10 Push-Pull, with 8 pedals and 9 knee levers, Lawrence L-910 pickups and aluminum necks. Nashville 400 amp with Peavey Mod. Emmons pedalbar mounted, and Goodrich LDR floor volume pedals.

[This message was edited by Wiz Feinberg on 23 October 2004 at 11:16 PM.]

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2004 2:52 am    

Mine is even a little closer to the strings, but no problem with the Jagwire strings.
Are all the electric connections soldiered properly?

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2004 7:38 am    

Wiz, Turn your bass down one number and try it. I had that with my Evans and was overdriving the input. It might not seem like enough bass but there will be plenty out front as bass develops after 20 feet.

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2004 12:29 pm    

This problem sounds like a bad string to me or maybe a mechanical vibration at the nut or changer. If that is a "B" note, it may be mixing with hum from the power line. I use to have a hollow body lead guitar that would only feed back on a "B" note on the sixth string,7th fret. Hold the bar on the string to see if it distorts on another note.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2004 6:57 am    

I fixed the problem with my L-910 overloading by swapping it out for a Wallace TrueTone, wound to 17500. The problem has gone away, so that was the required fix. Anybody else who has a humbucker that thumps on bass notes can fix it the same way.

------------------
Bob "Wiz" Feinberg
1983 Rosewood Emmons D10 Push-Pull, with 8 pedals and 9 knee levers, Wallace TrueTone E9 and Lawrence L-910 C6 pickups and aluminum necks. Nashville 400 amp with Peavey Mod. Emmons pedalbar mounted, and Goodrich LDR floor volume pedals.