The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lexicon MXP 110
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 11:45 am    

I`m thinking of purchasing one of these units for home recording. Anybody using one and how do they like it?

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 1:07 pm    

I have used the MPX110 for several months with my steel guitar. It is so clean and quiet that I would not think of using anything else, especially when you consider the price. I like the rotary controls that allow me to adjust different variables without having to reprogram.
For recording purposes it has a "plate" reverb which they claim is great for drums. I have not used it for direct recording but It should do a good job. It is unbelievably quiet. ....... JD

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 1:14 pm    

sorry to break in but I'd like to know
What all can you do with these units besides
the chorus, delay, reverb effects? thanks
Terry

------------------
84 SKH Emmons Legrand D10
session 400'rd Steelin for my Lord.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 7:31 pm    

I'd also like to know this--With the rotary controls and the tap button, how would one set a delay for specific milliseconds? Is that even possible with this unit? There's that delay/tempo formula that is great for recording and you'd have to be able to set to milliseconds (seems to me anyway).

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2004 7:34 pm    

oops- double post

[This message was edited by Scott Denniston on 30 August 2004 at 08:48 AM.]

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 4:16 am    

The MPX 110 has, delay,reverb,chorus,flange,tremolo,etc. The delay time can be changed by pushing the "tap" button twice. The delay time is equal to the time between the two pushes. You can't dial an exact time. I think this is possible through the midi input on the rear of the unit.
www.musiciansfriend.com has info on the mpx110. I think they also offer a downloadable manual. .........JD

Richard E. Lee

Macedon, NY, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2004 5:11 pm    

I too have been looking at these effects units. I have an RV-3 Which I like very much. I called our local music store, and they are out of the MPX110..they said that these are of older generation of the units and the 550 is the more recent unit. They also have recommended the new BEhinger unit. I have not heard anything good about their AMPS and i'm real skidish about this effects. Has anybody out there tried these things and could give me some inside on what to look for, and or what to buy. I'm real confused. Thanks

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2004 2:20 am    

After looking at the specs for the MPX550 I am wondering if this model is as user friendly as the MPX110. I do know that it costs twice as much. I got rid of a high dollar noisy processor after using the MPX110. It does everything I want and did not take much time to learn how to operate it.
There are a lot of happy MPX 100 users out there. It is one generation older than the 110.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2004 5:38 am    

I have used a MPX 200 for several years and really like it. Lexicon discontinued this model for some reason so I just picked up a used one on e-bay for less that $150.00. It has more features than the MPX 100 or 110 and is more user friendly than the higher ticket models.
Erv

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2004 7:01 am    

I have an MPX 100 for sale, and it is a fine unit.....I really liked the combination of reverb and echo that I got from it. The reason I'm selling is because I now have an MPX 500 in my rack and don't have a need for the 100. The 500 is a bit more versatile, meaning you can change the parameters on it and save them in user postitions, whereas with the 100 that's not possible.

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 6) Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX500; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2004 11:51 am    

Hal - The MPX-100 has 16 slots to store programs that have been edited and tweaked by the user.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas
Down On The Rio Grande

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2004 12:58 pm    

I use the MPX-100 all the time. It's the earlier version of the MPX-110.

It doesn't have a way to set the delay to a number of milliseconds, but I don't miss that. I don't think in milliseconds - I think it beats. What it does have is a way to set the tempo via a MIDI clock pulse. This is very useful. Our drummer has the click in his headset, and the same click is driving my echo.

Other useful effects include a very good rotary speaker (with a twist of a knob it goes from fast to slow), and some pitch effects for adding an automatic octave, fifth, etc.

I put it between my preamp and power amp. The output knob on the MPX-100 is my "volume" control, so I never need to change the gain structure of the preamp.

It has a digital output for recording, too.

Hal, there are 16 user positions on the MPX-100. These positions save the parameters you have dialed in. I only use about half of them - the "mix" knob gives me more or less of my saved presets as desired.

The only thing it really lacks is a display.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra Session SD-12 (Ext E9), Williams D-12 Crossover
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, C6, A6)

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 31 August 2004 at 01:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 31 August 2004 at 02:01 PM.]

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2004 7:33 pm    

Well OK.....I stand corrected....anyway, they are great effects units.....I wouldn't be without my MPX500. Thanks for the correction guys

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 6) Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX500; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp.