The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  V-Sam vs VS-II Peterson Tuners
Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 2:19 am    

Can anyone tell me the difference between the V-Sam and the VS-II Peterson tuners. Does the VS-II still have the Newman preset tunings in it? I'm looking for some feed back from folks who are using either of these tuners. Thanks

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 3:41 am    

Mark,
Check out: www.PetersonTuners.com
Should tell you all you need.I really like mine.Good luck.

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII,Nash 400,
TC Electronics M300.
"Kindly keep it Country"

Quesney Gibbs

Anniston, AL
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 3:43 am    

I just got a VS II last week and all I can say is WOW! My steel is in better tune than it has ever been.

I can't say much about the other tuner but go to the Peterson Tuner Forum and all your questions will be answered.

Ques

Chris Lasher

Blacksburg, VA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 7:25 am    

If you look through the Peterson Tuner forums you will find recommendations from the Peterson staff to pedal steel players to strongly consider the VS-II over the V-SAM. One of the nice things that the VS-II has that the V-SAM does not is the ability to run your line through the tuner; hence you don't have to fiddle with your signal chain just to tune. The VS-II tuner has a true passive connection so your signal will not be harmed on its way to your volume pedal and on into the amp. To answer your question about the Newman tunings, yes, they are already pre-programmed into the VS-II.

I believe the V-SAM was designed with concert instruments in mind, wherease the VS-II was designed with stage musicians in mind. Again, though the Peterson folks would be happy to answer your question.

I've been extremely happy with my purchase of the VS-II. For me, the best part about it is not its ridiculous accuracy, but the readability of the screen as I'm tuning. Great design! Fantastic product! Worth every penny!

The only thing missing from the VS-II is a Carl Dixon to discuss with you whether it's appropriate to use just tuning or tempered tuning. I hear Peterson is working on a digital version of Mr. Dixon for the next product release, though, so stay tuned.

[This message was edited by Chris Lasher on 22 August 2004 at 08:28 AM.]

Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 7:47 am    

VS-II. There is NO substitute!

Ricky...

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd, Peterson VS-II Tuner
Dan-Echo, E-Bow, Ibanez Distortion, Boss Comp./Sustain, Ibanez Auto-Wah, PX4 Pandoras Box

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 8:16 am    

Moved to "Electronics" section of the Forum.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 10:30 am    

Has anyone found the Peterson strobes *too* sensitive? I haven't tried one but I did receive a Seiko ST-1200 this week that has a "fine scale" that splits the cents scale from 50 to 25 cents. I almost found that too sensitive while tuning the Carter, seeing little jumps from the tuning keys that weren't obvious in the 50 cent scale. A guy like me could obsess about splitting hairs and the Peterson sounds almost too precise?

bob

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2004 12:25 pm    

I have just bought a VS 11 and don't know why I waited so long. It is fantastic. My bolt-on Emmons is now properly in tune especially in a live situation. Definitely a must have for steel....IP

------------------

Mark Kelchen

Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2004 12:35 pm    

Thanks folks. After all of your imput and further research, I have decided on the VS-II. Seems like it will suit the bill. Thanks again!