The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Steel King Announcement
Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 6:11 am    

Fender has posted specs and picture of their new Steel King amp: http://www.fender.com/products/

Buddy Emmons recently posted a favorable review of this amp. I'm looking forward to trying one out.

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 11:01 am    

Let's see if this will take us right to it: http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=2289500

Bob Lawrence

Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 11:30 am    

If you click on the picture of the amp, the picture size will increase.

------------------

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 12:30 pm    

I was a bit surprised to hear of Fender introducing this amp. I assumed that was their thinking behind the reissue twin Custom 15, as a replacement for the the Vibrosonic. Has the price been announced as yet?

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 12:36 pm    

Thanks for the direct link, Rex. Those interested in all of Fender's new products can use the first link. I'm sure Forum members will want to check out the new Bouzouki .

Interesting to note that the Steel King comes with stock castors. They've obviously done their research and know all us geezers have bad backs. Hopefully the rest of the amp meets our desires, as well .

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 1:23 pm    

David N., the Twin Custom 15 is a tube amp. It is basically a steeler friendly version of the Twin, and it's predecesors are the Vibroverb, Vibrosonic, and Vibrasonic. The Steel King is solid state and apparently designed to compete with the Peavey Nashville series, Webb, Stereo Steel, etc.

In my opinion, all the steel amp makers (except Stereo Steel) are off base on the weight thing. Pedal steel just requires big massive amps and speakers, whether tube or solid state, 12" or 15". Trying to put heavy amp chassis and heavy speakers in a single combo unit is as impractical for steel as it is for bass. Putting castors on them does not help with curbs, stairs, etc.

In addition, a steel player sits at his instrument, and so is not free to stroll back to the amp at the back of the stage and adjust things. A steel player needs the controls next to his seat, with the freedom to place the speaker(s) somewhere else on stage, typically out of reach.

The answer to all these problems is separate head cabinets and speaker cabinets. Many of us are now rebuilding the amps this way, but at extra effort and expense.

Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 5:27 pm    

At the risk of Mike Brown's head blowing up twice it's size, they're gonna have to go a long way to match the Session 500.

They do have a cooler looking logo though, and Fender reverb has always been superior.

We'll see.

At least they're not made out of Carbon Fiber..

EJL

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 6:42 pm    

After going through TWO 15" Custom Twins earlier this year (including having one completely taken apart and reassembled by the BEST amp guy in the midwest)...and concluding that can't make a quality amp to save their lives....I have to say that I hope they did a bit of research and put some quality into this amp. I am anxious to try one just to see if it has some of the problems I experienced with both Customs.

Now...Peavey should consider making reissues of the Session 400...THAT would be good news

Joe

[This message was edited by Joe Alterio on 22 July 2004 at 07:45 PM.]

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 7:15 pm    

I'd be more excited if this was a tube amp, but as it is, it'll need to be good to match the NV 1000, in my opinion.

Still, I guess if it were a tube amp, it wouldn't be a 'mere' 66lbs!

RR

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2004 7:29 pm    

I'm with David Dogget. I put my '71 twin in a head cab, and now it is lighter, and I can place a pair of Marrs cabs on stage where I want them. I can sit at my steel and tweek all I want, too. If I don't have enough volume, I toss a mic infront of one of my cabs and run it through the PA system.
I may try a new Steel King, just as soon as I wear out my refurbished '71 twin-----probably in another 30 years. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"(Will Rodgers)

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2004 3:16 am    

I believe the bulk of Fender amps,excluding the very pricey "Custom Shop reissue" models, are built in Mexico. I wonder if that is true of this model?

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2004 4:51 am    

For you Euro steelers, the spec sheet shows that there are model#'s set up to comply with voltage requirements for Japan, UK, Europe and Australia. Fender must have a spy on the Forum.

BTW, here's the review by that Emmons fella:

Steel King review

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2004 9:38 am    

Thanx Tim, i did notice it is available 4 Xport
for the tambien, er time being my Nash1000 takes care of Biz
i'll go try a Steel King if see one here...

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2004 12:23 pm    

Yes, it is built in Mexico. By the way, the Nashville 1000 and 112 are built in Mississippi, USA.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2004 2:41 pm    

Mike,
I need no convincing. I received a Nashville 112 as a gift from my wife, and it is just a great little unit. The fact that it is American made is icing on the cake.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2004 5:12 am    

"For you Euro steelers, the spec sheet shows that there are model#'s set up to comply with voltage requirements for Japan, UK, Europe and Australia".

Yep - Fender don't want to limit their market to the USA and Canada. I look foward to adding this amp to my 3 aged Peavey amps.

KB

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2004 5:59 am    

Well, if they're on the ball...they should
have them at the Convention next month
so players can check 'em out.

[This message was edited by Jay Ganz on 24 July 2004 at 07:10 AM.]

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2004 6:46 am    

Tilt back legs should come standard, IMHO.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2004 8:45 am    

Apparently, the casters pop out easily so, instead of tilt-back legs they're suggesting that you just pop out the rear casters to allow the amp to tilt.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2004 8:56 am    

Yes, a tilt feature, one that works equally well with or without the casters, should be standard. Also, you shouldn't have to pay extra for the cover! (Does anyone really prefer not to have a cover?) It ticked me off ROYALLY that when I bought my last Fender amp, I had to pay an extra $22 for the cover, and then had to send Fender another $5 to get a copy of the schematic. I'm really surprised the don't charge $2 for their hang-tags.

Anyhow, as much as new amp, Fender needs a "Mike Brown". And without that, they'll never top Peavey.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2004 6:09 pm    

As far as customer relations & support goes,
Peavey is tough to beat. One of the
best companies I've dealt with when it comes
to getting parts, schematics etc.
But, some folks like the Peavey tone & some prefer the Fender tone...so at least this amp will provide the latter in a high
powered amp dedicated to the steel.
Time will tell whether it actually takes off.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2004 6:48 pm    

We steel players I think are very spoiled. We are used to having personal relationships with the manufacturers of our instruments and the manufacturers of our amplifiers. I doubt that you can establish a personal relationship with Fender like we have with Mike Brown. I'll be interested in seeing if there will be culture shock when some buyers of the Steel King amp try to get it repaired, and their local Guitar Center or Sam Ash tells them it's a 2 month turnaround for Fender amp warranty repairs (Mike Brown did a repair for me in less than a week). On the other hand, competition is always good, and the fact that a major instrument manufactuer (other than Peavey and the Carter starter) is offering a mass market steel-related product means that some marketing gurus might be sensing surging interest in the steel guitar market (can anyone say Robert Randolph again?), which is good for everyone. Next we may see Gibson build a newly designed pedal steel!!

------------------
[url=http://www.mightyfinemusic.com/jeff's_jazz.htm]Jeff's Jazz[/url]

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 24 July 2004 at 07:53 PM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 5:42 am    

Eric, I have trouble keeping a hat on my head now! Ha!

Jeff, I've worked here at Peavey since January 1976 and the customer always comes first. Service is our specialty!

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 27 July 2004 at 06:43 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 30 July 2004 at 07:14 AM.]

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 5:55 am    

Sixty-six pounds? Hmmm... Losing the footswitch and casters probably brings it down a little.

My Webb w/JBL is 61 lbs., my Evans w/BW 1502-4 is 52 lbs.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 27 July 2004 at 06:59 AM.]

Jerry Warner

Charleston, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2004 3:41 pm    

WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO BUY THIS THING AS TO IT IS MADE IN MEXICO AND THAT IS NOT SPELLED LIKE MISSISSIPPI AND ALSO TAKES A FEW JOBS WITH IT, WHATA YOU SAY LETS HEAR IT HERE ON THE FORUM. HAVE A GOOD DAY ALL.