The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Which Elec Drums?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2004 8:29 pm    

Which brand and model of electronic drum machine is simple to use and capable of making demo tapes or scratch tracks?
Thanks
DD

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2004 7:36 am    

One of the better setups is:

a) FXpansion's BFD (Big F'''ing Drums), about $250-300

b) a cheap computer sequencing program like Cakewalk Project 5 (used for $100 on ebay)

c) an Akai MPD16 drum pad trigger to hook into your PC. ($150-170)

My setup is (b) & (c) using internal drum sample presets in (b). BFD is supposed to be awesome drum samples.

If you got a computer - don't get a drum machine - go with a sequencer and the MPD !!

Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2004 2:24 pm    

Hey, if you use your computer for drums, and you can't get a handle on the usual batch of sequencer software, try this one:
http://www.guitar.sk

It's a program called "Drumsite". Download the demo and see if it's for you. I'm seriously thinking about buying it.

Another good one that's easy is LeafDrums2, but I don't remember the web site url.

Both of these program more like the old drum machines that a lot of us are used to.

Les

------------------
Strat,Tele
Dekley S-10

Jeff Hogsten

Flatwoods Ky USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 6:38 am    

get a sequencing program that uses vst instruments then get a program called battery it loads each drum on a seperate track that way you can control the volume of each drum sepereate or eq it different and put effects on each one the best sounding drums Ive found and the reviews on most of the mags I read agree are drums from hell. If you are inrested in this setup I can help you get it set up Jeff

Alan Kroeger

Yorktown, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 12:12 pm    

Perhaps Den doesn't want to get involved in the PC based systems. You could try out the Korg Electribe Series some of them are cheap second hand but, I kinda doubt you will like any of the builtin patterns modification/editing will be required. Why don't you ask our mutual aquaintence Mark 'madfiddler' Knight he's pretty good about this stuff or at least better then I am.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 2:29 pm    

Alan, welcome to the steel guitar forum. We both get around
Many of the steel forum members play other instruments. It's also a good source of music info in all aspects. I don't get into near as much trouble here since b0b has no open topic page. No need to use my alias (Arnold Ziffle)

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 2:34 pm    

I just purchased an Alesis SR-16 drum machine on ebay today. Sounds like it will work for my needs. 20yrs ago I owned a Roland TR-909. Wish I still had it.
DD

Alan Kroeger

Yorktown, New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 3:05 pm    

Thanks Den yeah I been reading this forum for a while now (before fiddle I did some 35 years on guitar next to nothing on steel) So, I finally took the plunge with Lap Steel as preliminary to a Pedal in the future and am enjoying it a bunch (lots to learn but, plenty of pre-existing musical knowlege)
Enjoy the unit you gonna try this out with 'Dale By God' in some new material?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2004 5:22 pm    

I'll use the Alesis mainly for personal use. This winter, when I get into a creating mood, I can work on some originals.
DD

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2004 12:34 am    

IMOHP i think any electronic drum machine would do the job.About 30 years ago we had a two week gig in N.D.and the drummer didn't show.The band leader got an electronic drum machine from some music store.It didn't have much of a sound but we all fell in love with it.You could turn the $&*@ thing down.LOL.(but a true story.tracy