The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone know of a source for GOOD pots??
Del Rangel

Clayton, NC
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2004 10:03 am    

E. Bovine,
Have you any comments on the PEC pots? Do they taper properly and are they lasting?
Thanks

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2004 10:56 am    

I did not try the new pots yet because the old one stopped sounding scratchy so I ain't gonna fix it right now because it ain't broke.

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2004 8:48 pm    

Some One On The Forum Had A Bunck Of Allen bradley;s For $10.00 A Peace.I Belive. SONNY.

------------------

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 7:57 am    

The KA5041S28-ND that Karlis recommended is still working fine in my Goodrich L120 pedal.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 8:12 am    

I'd agree. That PEC 500k audio taper long-life pot seems to be the best thing going as far as new pots go. I don't know how long they last, but they sure do feel smooth and the taper seems just right. There were some previous complaints about the PEC, but I think that's because someone had tried the linear-taper version. We steelers need the audio taper.

Brad Sarno

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 8:23 am    

There is another pot that I've been experimenting with. I'm not sure of the maker, but it may be Clarostat since it's from Mexico. These are sold by Jim Dunlop and are 470k audio taper long-life. They come with a gear on them to go in their "Hi-Gain" volume pedal which looks like a cry baby wah pedal. I put it in my ZB volume pedal since it uses the gear. You could probably remove the gear and set it up in a Sho-Bud or Goodrich. It's a different looking pot, like black plastic and totally sealed up. It's worked pretty good so far. The taper may not be as smooth as the PEC, but I haven't decided on that yet. It's called a Hot-Potz 470k and comes in the red package. That's close enough to 500k so it'll work just fine on steel.

Brad Sarno

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 10:56 am    

Try " www.mouser.com ". Mouser is a large supplier of elex components. And they don't have a minimum order.
The link below is one that I found for $5.37. They have so many, it may be difficult to find what you want.
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=350831&e_categoryid=319&e_pcodeid=65214

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2004 8:14 pm    

Well, good luck with new-pots. I Posted on this Forum for some old Scratchy AB-Pots, and only got a bunch of jokers that only made fun of my request! I'm surprised any one would even think of asking for a good-pot, around here! I cleaned an original old scratchy AB Pot that was once in my L–120 Goodrich Pedal, and it's as good as new, if not better! I had a PEC pot in my Pedal which became scratchy in a short-time. I guess that will be my next cleaning-project!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Franklin PSG D–10 (9 & Cool
Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Custom
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click here
click here

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 7:06 am    

Are the Canadian pots that Paul Franklin sell,listed on his website? Anyone tried these yet? Opinions? Thoughts?

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 12:40 pm    

Yea Kenny, the ones Paul Sr. is selling is the PEC that we've been discussing here. One of my favorite things to do is to take an old scratchy AB pot, pull off the metal shell, clean the heck out of it, and if it needs it, replace the wiper brush. You can find lot's of old AB type J pots of strange values. Just open them up and steel the little wiper brush from it and put it in your good ol' 500k pot. Be carfeul not to bend the brush spring so much that it loses tension. You can shim little pieces of wire under the spring to regain some tension. I recommend the CAIG pot cleaner/lube. The real trick, I think, to keeping a restored pot from getting scratcy is to seal it up and make it as airtight as you can. You can tell they originally shipped that way. I think the oxide that builds up from air and humidity is a major culprit. I've restored a number of old AB's with fresh brushes and they do great. If your old pot's brush got so low that the spring clip has dug grooves into the resistor track, then it may be trashed. If it's still only touching the brush, I bet you can refurbish it. Never pitch those old AB's!

Brad Sarno

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 7:01 pm    

Don't sell them either!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Franklin PSG D–10 (9 & Cool
Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Custom
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click here
click here

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2004 9:31 pm    

Karlis, how are those pots you ordered from Digikey?