The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  contact cleaner for Fender Dual Pro volume pot
John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 2:23 pm    

I've got a scratchy volume pot on my 1952 Dual Pro, and repeatedly working the pot all the way open & closed hasn't cleaned things up much. So I went to Radio Shack & picked up a can of contact/control cleaner & lubricant. It is labelled as appropriate "for electro-mechanical devices, esp. drum-type TV tuners [emphasis mine]." I did read the small print, though, which stated, "check your owner's manual before using the cleaner on valuable equipment," which, of course, gave me pause, as I consider my Dual Pro quite valuable! And since I don't have an owner's manual, I figured I'd consult the next best thing: the Steel Guitar Forum. The contents of this cleaner are: tetrafluoroethane, cyclomethicone, mineral oil, fragrance & dye.

Any opinions as to whether this cleaner would be OK on a Fender volume pot? Is there a different type of cleaner that might be more appropriate? I'm probably "sweating the small stuff" here, but I'm really not up on my electronics, and that small print did give me second thoughts. I figured I'd seek more informed opinions than mine before I decide to spray or not to. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 3:55 pm    

DeoxIT D5 from Caig Laboratories.
www.caig.com

------------------

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 4:10 pm    

John--you will be ok. Keep this and all cleaners off of your guitar finish. You will find firm and hard opinions on whether you want a cleaner with or without lubricant. Someone will even tell you to spray WD 40 (I'm not telling you that, though). Bottom line--the pot may be shot anyway and need to be replaced. But the stuff you have could well rehab it. Go for it.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 5:47 pm    

I've used "Krylon" brand (as in the spray paint maufacturer) with good results as they make a contact cleaner that not only cleans electronic switches, rheos etc. but leaves a lubricant behind.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 6:00 am    

John - I use the Radio Shack stuff and it's just fine for cleaning up pot scratchiness, although in most cases I've found that this means the pot is getting ready to expire. As mentioned above, avoid getting the spray on the finish. I have found it necessary to replace pots on all of my elderly equipment, at one time or another. It's pretty much a requirement of owning vintage gear, but usually not difficult to do, if you can find the right replacement part. - Tim

John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 2:34 pm    

Thanks for the input everybody. While we're on the subject, could somebody clue me in on this, please: when that volume pot does finally give up the ghost, where would be a good place to get a replacement?

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 11:53 pm    

My cleaner is called Lube Job ­ Electronics Lubricant. “Lubricates & Protects – Safe on Plastics. AVW P.O.Box 9962, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33310 or www.lube-job.com

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Franklin PSG D–10 (9 & Cool
Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Custom
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click here
click here

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 May 2004 10:29 am    

John---if/when you need to replace it, post again. I can dig up a basketful of links for a new pot. I forget what value that takes but it is a standard part; not a vintage kinda thing.

John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 11:16 am    

Hi Jon-- Thanks a lot for your offer about sending links. I'll keep that in mind & let you know when the pot finally goes kaput. Probably won't be too long...