The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No more Hum! New hum eliminator for 2 amps
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 5:55 pm    

Just got in the the new "HUM X" made by Ebtech. This plugs between the wall outlet and 1 amp to totally eliminate ground loop hum. It works perfect. Also great for a Tubefex or Transtubefex. Actually any application where there are multiple ground paths. It strips away unwanted cureent and voltage while leaving the unit safely grounded.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/new.html

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 6:03 pm    

Sounds good...except for the $90 price tag. Since it's not much bigger than an ice cube, I'd be curious as to what's inside!

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 6:21 pm    

They are around $59.00 at Musician's Friend. I got mine online at Ebay (new). For $59.00 shipped. Donny, this thing is really great. I wonder how they did it myself.
I just plugged mine in with a 1967 Super Reverb daisy-chained to a Dual Professional. Absolutely no hum! Without it, the hum was awful.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 6:28 pm    

FWIW, I have had the Ebtech Hum Eliminator in my rack [goes in the line level signal path] for several years and it works great and well worth the price. The price posted on the site for this new product is MSRP and we all know you NEVER pay that price. I believe my box listed for about the same price as the X, but I paid around $65 from one of the catalogs. I'd say I probably spent that much on lost or stolen 3 prong adaptors over the years. If it's near as good as my box, I'd say it'd be money well spent. JMHO.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 9:48 pm    

Ken

I just use 3/2 adaptors and cut off the ground prong. I just keep one amp grounded and everything else "ground lifted"

bob

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 10:33 am    

Thanks Ken,

Yeh, I fought that problem all around the room one day when I started using two amps.

I guess I connect one amp to the wall socket using the Hum Eliminator, and then a power strip to the second outlet in the wall socket. Then use the power strip for the second amp, efx unit, wall warts?

Question: Will this help with single coil hum?

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 6:55 pm    

Will not help single coil hum. Like Bob, I was using the ground lift method. However this can cause damage to A Tubefex or Transtubefex. It also blew up my Hilton Sustainer twice. Keith fixed it both times (for free!) and actually improved the design to compensate for what I was doing (using two old Fender tube amps). Keith is one great guy, goes the extra mile for his customers and also gave me a great education about the grounding issue.
Because damage can be inflicted to sensitive elctronic components I wanted to find a solution. The Hum-X or Hum-Eliminator either one will do the trick. The Hum-Eliminator give two balanced outputs from the guitar (no ground reference), thus allowing both units to remain grounded to the wall outlet.
A lot of time I run two amps and a Fex unit. I will likely get another one of the Hum-X units soon.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 7:02 pm    

delete.

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 25 May 2004 at 08:03 PM.]