The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  delay/reverb on fender amp..
Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 1:56 am    

Hi..
I have just started playing psg (carter starter) , and I am just looking for some advice on amplifying it.. I am using a silverface 78' fender deluxe reverb for my tele (vibrato channel) , and I think it would be nice to use the other channel (normal) for the psg, so I would'nt have to carry my arms off.. I guess it don't have the headroom or clean power like a Peavey amp, but I play in a kinda rough countryrock band , and I dont mind a little dirty sound + I allways mic the amp with a sm57 when playing live.. The only concern is that the normal channel don't have reverb, and I guess some of you guys have experience with what kind of box that sound best with a tube driven amp.. I have been looking at the boss RV3, which have both reverb and delay, and could be perfect, but it's digital, and I don't know how it will sound like if the amp overdrives a bit. I have also considered the electro harmonics holy grail reverb..
Hope someone has some thoughts/experience on this, (is any one using deluxe reverb for psg?)
I am of course interested in buying a good pedal when I figure out what's the best for me (boss/holygrail or similar).
Frode

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 5:54 am    

Maybe a year or so ago, there was a thread on here about a floor spring reverb unit that had pretty much the same sound as a Fender unit, if you are looking for that sound. It was called a Little Leilani or maybe Lil Leilani. Something close to that anyway. They are apparently hand made by one guy. If you are interested, there are people here on the forum that will know what I am talking about and maybe even own one.

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 9:23 am    

I remember somebody talking over in electronics about modding the Deluxe Reverb so that the verb is used on both channels, if you wanted to do that I'm sure someone could chime in. I think it's a pretty common mod.

Little Leilani is made by Songworks, I think... people seem to dig 'em, and I think it's the only stompbox that actually has real old-school springs inside it. Holy Grail is also well reviewed/liked by people who use it apparently.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 10:59 am    

Hey Frode. I can address a number of your issues. First of all, I use a Deluxe Reverb (silver face, a few years older than yours) when I want a compact rig. I'm considering doing some tone modifications on it because it doesn't quite have the sound I'm looking for (a tone that I am getting from my Dual Showman Reverb) and I'm convinced that the similar circuits should be able to produce a similar tone.
Yes, it is easy to push the DR into the gravel but if you like the rough edge and if you mic it, then it ought to work out ok. If you upgrade to a D-10 (or U-12) and start playing big swing chords, though, you will overwhelm the amp. The problem won't be distortion and break up (well, yes it will) but, rather, lack of crispness and string definition. But that's something to worry about later. Do yourself a favor, though, and try to find the chance to play through a Twin Reverb. You might find that there is a fatness there that you aren't getting in the Deluxe and you may find that you don't want to settle for less.

Nick is correct--the mod to put reverb in both channels is very simple and non-destructive. But it is still a job for an experienced tech or a well educated home-tinkerer. If you wish to persue this, email me and I'll send you instructions and graphics. But I repeat--it's dangerous in there if you don't know proper procedures.

The Holy Grail is digital. It sounds quite good and is a decent choice. RV 3 is good. It has the advantage of having the versatility of delay, reverb, and a combination of the two. The Holy Grail is designed specifically to emulate the Fender spring reverb and it does a nice job. I have never tried the real spring units like the Leilani so I can't compare but the fact that the Holy Grail is digital is really not an issue. It has none of the sonic drawbacks of bad digital units.

In my opinion your best option is the amp modification. You should be able to have somebody do it for less than the price of a Holy Grail. But the H.G. is a good plan B.

Hope I didn't bore you. I do tend to go on & on, don't I?

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 12:33 pm    

You could plug your Tele into the dry channel and use one of any number of delay units available for regular guitar, and save the sweet side of the amp for your steel...

Jon, you just keep right on a-going on. I haven't noticed you dishing out any bad advice so far.

[This message was edited by Emmett Roch on 24 May 2004 at 01:36 PM.]

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 12:41 pm    

Moved to 'Electronics'

Frode Bjoernstad

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 24 May 2004 10:32 pm    

Hi!
Thank you for great inputs. Keep 'em coming!
" You could plug your Tele into the dry channel and use one of any number of delay units available for regular guitar, and save the sweet side of the amp for your steel..."
- I know, but i love the tremolo and reverb for my tele, and I sometimes use this for lap steel as well..

And Jon I would love to see your description on how to modify my deluxe reverb .. Check your mail! And please go on and on.. I never get tired of some good reverbchatting..

I guess I will try to go for the boss RV 3, because of the extra delay, and I can use it with a peavey amp when need that classic clean nashville psg sound..

Does anyone here have one extra RV 3 to spare for a good price?

Frode

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 25 May 2004 11:49 am    

OK. Email has been sent. As I state in the email, this particular instruction & graphic is something I found online but also had sent to me by a real reliable person. So I trust it. Plus, I did the job on two amps and it works as advertised.
And as I emphasize in the email, there are serious dangers inside an amp anmd it is imperative that anyone going inside there arm themselves with knowledge of how to discharge the caps and render the amp safe to work on.

Let me also mention that there are some people who hear and dislike the digital quality in the RV3 reverb. I never minded it myself. This is a complaint I have not heard with the Holy Grail. The thing that it does well, specifically, is emulate a Fender spring reverb.

------------------
FCarter U-12 7+8E
FStartUp SteelE
FPhoto GalleryE