The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Digitech RP 100a effects unit
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2004 4:56 pm    

I want to replace my profexII with something easier to switch from one preset to another (while playing steel). I have the midi controller but it is foot operated. Guess what,I only have two feet hmmm. Can anyone recommend an effects unit? Has anyone tried the Digitech RP100a?

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 8:01 am    

John, I recently got a Digitech RP 100A to use with my pedal steel. It replaces a POD XT that got stolen. I use it between my Hilton pedal and one of my Fender tube amps. I need it to get better reverb than some of my amps have, and to get distortion when I play blues and rock.

It has some good reverbs. I have several presets with different levels of reverb and nothing else. Eventually I may try some delay and chorus. I couldn't get any of the amp models to give me good distortion, but the setting called Classic Fuzz works pretty good. It seems to be modelled after the original Tube Screamer stomp box.

One problem is that you can't preset the gain and volume for each preset channel. So you can't simply switch between your presets without fiddling with the gain and volume. For distortion, the gain has to be way up and the volume way down. For clean, it is just the reverse.

I don't try to operate it with my foot. I set it near me so I can hit the switches with my hand, and fiddle with the knobs.

It's a pretty straight forward easy to use unit at a good price. It is cheaper than buying several stomp boxes, but it's pretty minimal as today's processors go.

MIKEHOLLAND

stegenevievemo.usa
Post  Posted 20 May 2004 6:35 pm    

I use the digitech 300 all I use it for is a touch of delay. I have a 2nd preset with a much heavier delay setting for backup on slow ballads. One feature on the 300 is the learn a lick mode which will take a 15 second loop from a cd,or cassette and slow it down. Any effects you could want plus a learn a lick feature all in one unit.

[This message was edited by MIKEHOLLAND on 20 May 2004 at 07:37 PM.]

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 May 2004 3:58 am    

I guess you need a Boss SE70 or a Boss VF-1.

Larry Behm

John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2004 4:09 am    

We can close this topic... I bought a Lexicon MPX 110.