The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is a Pro/Tube fex?
Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 8:25 am    

Please pardon my ignorance. I have never had the oppertunity to see/hear/play with a ProFex or TubeFex. I'm currently running a POD for effects but am not very happy with the tones. I need something that will give me better clean tones.

Would someone be kind enough to give me the scoop on these units? What kind of patches are available? EQ, Verb, Distortion? What are the Jeff Newman presets? Is there a dobro sound? Are they still in production?

Obviously, the best thing to do is find one and play with it, and I'll try to do that, but that may be a chore.

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 11:44 am    

Peavey doesn't make any of the units you mentioned anymore. They are usually available used however. Jeff Newman originally wrote patches for the ProFex II but I understand that they have been written for the other units also. When I got my ProFex II it came with a blank card. I sent that to Jeff Newman and he sent back a programmed card along with a video on how to run the ProFex. The TubFex had a tube in it and the TransTubeFex had a simulated tube sound.
Erv

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 1:59 pm    

Ben, go to www.peavey.com in the upper right hand corner click on the manual sections and type in profex 2 and tubefex. It will foward you to a section that you can download the manuals for both units. The manuals contain all of the information concerning the type of effects available as well as applications. I have used both of these units and have found I prefer the profex over the tubefex. Both are very good units with a large variety of effects and extensive parameters on both. The profex is much lighter and smaller than the tubefex. the tubefex has 2 real tubes inside as the profex does not. You cant go wrong with either unit for sound enhancement!
Dave

------------------
'74 MSA D-10 8&4 W/705's, Rocktron Short Timer, Profex II, Nashville 400

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 2:50 pm    

I should have known that Peavy would be cleaver enough to continue supporting an item that was discontinued.

Is the Tubefex more recent than the ProfexII? It appears there a few more goodies in the Tubefex.

Looks like they are pretty much straight up guitar processors that are just preferred by many steelers. Yes?

Has anyone come up with a dobro simulator for these?

------------------
Ben

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 5:58 pm    

The Tubefex has:

-24 bit A/D conversion (as opposed to 16 A/D in the Profex)A/D is analog to digital

-More memory, so more effects can be chained

-Balanced XLR outs

-Tube preamp or the transistor preamp

-Operates on 120VAC, not a wall wart. However ground loop hum can occur when using with a power amp or amp, as there are two patchs to ground. Best to use the Ebtech "Hum eliminator" to balance the output and isolate the grounds.

If someone has a card with Newman presets it can be loaded directly into a Tubefex or Transtubefex. The Tubefex followed the Profex 2. The Transtubefex was the latest. It has a headphone output, a real plus. There is a motorized pot in the Tubefex that can go bad. It changes the pre volume when in the "Tube" mode. It can sometimes be cleaned. Best to make sure the motorized slide pot is working before purchasing (unless you do not want to use the tube preamp). Easy to tell, just pick a setting with "TB" in the effects chain and then try to change the volume. If the volume does not seem to change a lot or is "sluugish" in response, the motorpot may need cleaning or replacement.

Heres a link to the Tubefex page:
http://tubefex.home.comcast.net/

[This message was edited by Ken Fox on 11 May 2004 at 07:10 AM.]

William Peters

Effort, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 7:31 pm    

Ken,

Having just acquired a tubefex, I really appreciate the web link.

Bill www.wgpeters.com

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 7:39 am    

We still provide support on these products from the factory. fyi.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 8:18 am    

Thanks guys. Good link Ken.

------------------
Ben

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2004 11:17 am    

Mike, Does Peavey have any plans to either reissue some outboard electronic effects units, or create any new ones. Thinking specifically of delay and/or chrous units?
Thanks for your time.`

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2004 5:33 am    

Yep. That's all that I can say at this time.