The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Light Volume Pedal
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 6:10 am    

Does anyone know if Goodrich has a web site? I have one of the Goodrich pedals, don't know the model number, that works like the Hilton. It works great but Saturday when I played outside in the bright sun light for the first time with the pedal, the volume curve went crazy. It would go from about half pedal to nothing and then wide open. Got it back inside and started working fine again. Has anyone had this problem or is something wrong with the pedal. Thanks, Henry.

Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 9:38 am    

Goodrich doesn't appear to have a web site.

Ollie Goodrich, Goodrich Sound Co.
8733 Silver Creek Road
Whitehall, MI 49461
(231) 893-5702 (231) 893-7004 FAX

I have one of his LED photocell pedals and it works very well indoors or outdoors. Never had a problem with any lighting conditions.

Bill

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 10:48 am    

Thanks Bill, Will give them a call-Henry

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 12:26 pm    

Henry the Goodrich light beam pedal is not like my volume pedal. My electronics are totally different. Goodrich uses and LED light that shines on a Cds cell. A Cds cell is a light sensitive resistor. The darker the light on the Cds cell, the more resistance. The more light on the Cds cell, the less resistance. These Cds cells are in the range of visable light. The Cds cells are the same thing that turns on street lights when it gets dark, and turns them off when it gets light. A volume pedal is made of a top and bottom piece. There is a big gap between the bottom and top that lets in light. If the outside light is really bright, this light reacts on the Cds cell.
That is just one of the reasons I did not design my pedal around the use of a Cds cell-variable resistor. My pedal operates in the infra-red range, so outside ambient light does not bother it at all. You can even take my pedal apart where the inside gets full sun light and it will still work.
Pedals built with Cds cells have problems outside with bright sun light. Play your pedal where the light is not bright. Hope this information helps.

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 10 May 2004 at 01:27 PM.]

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 12:38 pm    

Thanks for the info Keith. I do believe the sun light on the pedal was my problem and talked to Ollie about it and he is getting with the tech to run down the problem. Thanks again Keith.--Henry

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 10 May 2004 5:43 pm    

Henry, a solution to the problem is to place a black towel over the pedal when you are in bright light. That should help the light getting in between the space between the top and bottom. I thought Ollie was the "tech". Isn't he the one who builds the pedal?

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 3:28 am    

I believe Keith has solved the problem, you won't have to worry about matching socks either

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 10:11 am    

Or you could make yourself a black tent that you and your steel could be inside. That way your band leader could say, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. I am the great and powerful OZ!"

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2004 10:28 am    

Thanks guys for the info. I like the tent idea as long as it's air-conditioned.
Keith, don'r know whether Ollie is tech or not.