The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  how to transport a big tube amp in a tiny Honda
John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2004 6:09 pm    

A few weeks ago I got a Peavey Delta Blues for my Fender Dual Pro. This is the first tube-amp I've ever owned (yeah, I know that this amp really isn't that big-- or heavy-- as far as tube-amps go), and I'm curious about how to transport the amp correctly, because I've heard that tube-amps can be on the delicate/touchy side. In other words, this is all new to me. I know I can't throw this Peavey around like I did my sturdy solid-state bass-amp during my bass-playing days, that's for sure!

Anyhow, I drive a Honda Civic sedan (read: dinky car) and the easiest way for me to transport the amp to & fro is to fold the rear seats forward and transport the amp either lying on its face or its backside-- not standing upright. Is there anything wrong with transporting the amp in this manner, or should it be kept upright, or does it not matter either way? I suppose that one of these days, if I find myself transporting the amp on a more regular basis, I'll get my act together and figure out a way to secure the amp & let it ride sitting on the rear seat, but for now, with its irregular (at best) journeys out of the house, it'll just ride on its face or backside-- unless anyone has any particularly compelling argument to the contrary. Thanks in advance for any advice. (And please don't tell me to get a bigger car!)
~~~~~~edited to get my electronics terminology right; no, I usually don't get it right the first time!~~~~~~~~~~

[This message was edited by John Pelz on 04 May 2004 at 07:13 PM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 2:02 am    

Handle anything with care but you don't need to baby it. Absolutely no problem with the transport methods you suggest. As a rule, I make sure my tubes are well seated after moving any amp (but don't get carried away with that--too much manual jiggling of a tube in its socket can compromise internal solder joints (I did this recently). But don't sweat how you lay down the amp, face up, down or sideways.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 7:03 am    

Put wheels on the amp and put the car on top of the amp. The amp will probably support the car better than the car will support the amp............

Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 7:08 am    

Make sure no loose stuff can fall into the speaker and damage it, if you lay the amp face down (remote control pedals, cords or whatever).

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 10:24 am    

Give the amp some cool down time before moving it. Tube innards get hot and can be jarred easily.

If it has a standby switch, put it on standby for about a minute before powering off.

Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 2:42 pm    

I used to transport a Fender Pro in the 50's like this (backside laying down in the trunk).

But, and I don't know if that was a contributing factor, the transformer frame eventually broke near the anchor points due to metal fatigue.

So Jon's advice sounds good, but that would be another area to watch.

Gere Mullican

LaVergne, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 3:30 pm    

My car is a little bigger than a Honda Civic. It is a 98 Chevy Lumina and I finally figured out a way to haul my Peavey NV400 and NV112. I put it on the back seat standing up but every time I put the brakes on I would have to reach back and keep it from lunging forward. Now I put it back there in the same place but I put the seat belt on it and that holds it secure. It solved a problem for me that I have had for years. I don't have a SUV or pickup, only a car..It works great.
Gere

John McGann

Boston, Massachusetts, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 4:02 pm    

A great amp tech once advised me to drive w/ the amp face down, to save wear and tear on the speakers- the magnets are heavy and can pull hard on the bumps with the amp facing up...

John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2004 6:46 pm    

Sounds like the best thing to do is: 1.) lay the amp face-down if it's not riding upright; 2.) make sure that miscellaneous, loose things don't fall into the back of the cabinet or the speaker; and 3.) otherwise not sweat it. The point is very well-taken to be careful, but that I don't have to be overly so. It's an amp, not fine china-ware. Thanks for all the great advice! (Especially yours, Ron. What kind of wheels should I get for the amp? Just pulling your leg here, Ron! )

Seeing as how we've already got this thread running, there was one other question that I have, never having previously owned a tube-amp:
There is no stand-by switch on this amp. Does switching the amp on & off more often than completely necessary put inordinate wear on the amp or the tubes? I am kind of thinking along the lines of fluorescent lamps here: if you're going to be out of the room just for a little while, it's best to leave the fluorescents on, otherwise you'll wear the starter out quickly, and go thru a lot of light-bulbs. Are tube-amps anything like this, or is my overactive imagination getting carried away again? That is, if I'm practicing & have to do something that'll take maybe 15 minutes, should I leave the amp on or should I shut it off? (Which, of course, begs the question on why I can't keep my butt glued to the seat until practice-time is over! Still working on that one...)
~~~see my above post for why I edited; this time for emphasis/easier reading~~~

[This message was edited by John Pelz on 05 May 2004 at 07:50 PM.]

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 6:03 am    

John, You might hunt up a small 3" or 4" piece of foam rubber just a little bit larger than your amp. Lay your amp on it, and the foam will absorb the road shock. The bumps and vibrations are hard on the tube filaments and the guts of your amp. You will add a lot of life to your amp.

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 06 May 2004 at 07:08 AM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 6:46 am    

Quote:
"Does switching the amp on & off more often than completely necessary put inordinate wear on the amp or the tubes?"

Yes.
The heat-up/cool-down creates wear.
The tubes have filaments (similar to a light bulb)that is a fine wire.

Standby circuits keep these filaments on while taking off the other voltages.

If I didn't have a standby switch, I turn the volume to zero and leave the amp on between sets.

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 9:43 am    

My 2 cents is "Protect the SPEAKERS" try to position your amp in a way that the speakers cannot be punctured or the grill cloth torn also Ron Sodos, you had me on the floor with the Car on top of the amp with wheels..Man that was great..tee hee

Bronco Billy

Ben Slaughter

Madera, California
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 11:40 am    

I had a tech tell me one time to never transport speakers (in amps or cabs) horizontally, because the up and down motion caused by the road can wear out or damage the cone. So, according to this theroy, laying an amp on its back or face is a bad thing.

I've always tried to adhear to this rule because it made logical sence, and with good results. Anyone have any proof or other thoughts?

------------------
Ben
Zum D10, NV400, POD, G&L Guitars, etc, etc.

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 6 May 2004 1:50 pm    

The Honda will wear out long before that Delta Blues does. Set it on the seat and put a seat belt around it - great idea. It'll have cushioning and security. And it'll be good company. It want talk until you get to the gig and plug it in.

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 7 May 2004 9:37 am    

There you go, showing off about a huge great car like a Honda Civic. The latest ones are so tall you could play the gig inside it!
I once took a Precision Bass and a 2 by 12 combo amp to a gig on the back of a Honda 50cc motorbike!
I was young and foolish in those days. I'm not young any more now though.

John Pelz

Kettering, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2004 10:38 am    

Whoa, Dave, that's quite a feat! My Honda is a few years old, so it's not very tall (or big) like some of the newer models, thus this thread. My brother is still driving his '92 Civic, it has well over 200K miles on it, and it still runs fine. The way those Hondas last, if in fact my Honda does wear out long before Delta Blues does, then my amp will be around a very long time indeed!