fender twin reverb
peavey stereo chours 212
evans,whichever is best for steel
thanks
Terry

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 11:32 am    

There is no one "Best" amp for steel. It is whatever YOU think sounds best to your ears. If there is a music store near you that sell Peavey and Fender, ask them if you can take your steel in and try out those amps. I have done this in a few stores. If they think you are going to buy, they will welcome you with open arms. It's going to be tough for you to try out a Session 500 or an Evans unless you know someone that has one. Those are both great amps.

Good luck on you search.

Les Pierce

Shreveport, LA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 12:52 pm    

Richard is 100% on this. To make matters worse, no two amps are going to sound the same in the store, as they will on a job, or in your living room.

It's funny, but you can usually make any decent amp with enough watts and a good speaker work. Just grab a good amp, that you have heard other people get the sound you want from, and just stick it out with it, until you and the amp start to gel. Unless you get a lemon, it'll get there.

I've heard guys pickin' through Webb, Evans and all types of Session 400's, and they all got excellent tone, but I'm sure it was the players, not the equipment.

As far as cost goes, the Session's are usually going to be your best deal. You are going to get the most bang for your buck, and a tried and true work horse amp, for about half the price of the others.

Les

------------------
Strat,Tele
Dekley S-10

[This message was edited by Les Pierce on 21 April 2004 at 01:54 PM.]

Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 1:00 pm    

I have one 130w Twin Reverb with JBL's and one Session 500 and they're both fine amps.
Not a very big difference in sound, they both weigh a lot and they are real workhorses.
Run a search on "Buy and sell" to check the prices.

Uffe

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 2:34 pm    

Terry,

All the info. you received here thus far is fine . All the amps mentioned are very good .
I would suggest you not overlook checking out the Stereo Steel Combo that Gerry Walker builds . It is a fantastic setup and made for steel players by a very fine steel player in his own right.

I have his entire system and only have good things to say for it . Some of the other forum members have this unit and as far as I have ever seen here from their comments , they have been very happy in every way with it's performance . Light , very powerful , great tone , and other built in items most steel players need from stage to studio.Very user friendly .

Here is his web site in case you want to take a look and/ or contact Gerry with questions . If you are attending the St. Louis convention or others , be sure and look him up , hear his work and look over and hear this fine system . www.stereosteel.com/index.html

Good luck on your final decision!

John

Cody Johnson

Cleveland, TN
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2004 3:36 pm    

The best amp to me is a combination of two things:the best sounding one & which is better on my wallet!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2004 1:36 am    

The Peaveys used in nice shape +- $350..A new N1000 +$600.. A new RI Twin $1200.

My money would be on a used Peavey although I do have a new N1000. Nashville 400 would be foremost..weight/tone etc...resale..etc...

You can't get burned on a used Peavey amp in the +- $350 price range..these are very marketable amps in this price range in reasonable shape.

A Twin would be great and I also am considering one, not new though..as mine would be clearly for double duty with the Tele'...

I am currently playing Steel 100% with a very aggresive Country band with a very hot Tele' player and two very strong acoustic rhythm players, very strong rhythm section..Not overly loud but very in your face..I use the Nashville 1000 and it is more than capable of handling this situation..Actually, it sounds pretty darn good..

t

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2004 6:10 am    

Thanks guys. I have a session 400'rd and love the amp. but just thought I'd try a different one, but the webbs and the Stereo amps are waaayy out of my reach. I'll probly just do like ya;ll suggested and take my steel to our local music store. I know both of the owners, and I know they wouldn't mind me settin my steel up and tryin out a few amps.

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2004 6:12 am    

Marshal Music in Durant, OK has or had an '81 Session 500 for $300. It was average condition. You can hunt up an older Twin Reverb for $400--$500, the older the better, but expect to do a cap/tube job, and probably rebaffle to get a 15" EV or JBL or BW for steel. It adds up, but you get that rich tube sound, and is still cheaper than the new re-issue twins. Your amp tech can dial in a twin to be more steel friendly, too. Any older used amp is probably a candidate for a cap job and thorough checkup----solid state or tube amp. But thats just my way, I like to know what I have for reliability and dependability.>>>>I also have a friend who just uses a Tubefex with a 500 watt power amp and two extension speakers---so there are lots of approaches.

[This message was edited by James Morehead on 22 April 2004 at 07:19 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2004 6:13 am    

Terry,
If you would like a Session 500, Rich Currier, a fellow forumite, has one for sale at a good price. He wants $300 for it. His e-mail address is richcurrier@yahoo.com
I would have bought it myself, but I found one on ebay that included the remote control that clamps onto the guitar leg.
I have a Peavey mod kit on order for my Session 500 when it arrives.
Erv

[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 22 April 2004 at 07:16 AM.]

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2004 8:37 am    

Evans FET500's can be found around the $500 range, maybe a bit under, I think.

Old Silverface fender's are not as desirable to six string players, as they don't break up the same way, but are pretty cool sounding; you need to get them a little opened up (LOUD volumes are involved here...) to sound there best, and you can find them (silverfaces, at least) I believe also somewhere from $500 up, depending on condition.

The Session 400s were the best of the old peavey's according to a lot of folks... I don't know that you'd find it worth tracking down a Session 500, and they're supposed to be heavy as all hell.

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2004 12:04 pm    

..Terry, if you don't buy your amp close to home, be sure to factor in shipping..a used Session 500 is usually a very good value, but it is also very heavy and will cost a lot more to ship than lighter amps...

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 1 May 2004 11:31 am    

Thanks a lot guys. it'll be a while before i can get a second amp, i just wanted to get an idea on prices.
Terry