The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss effects
FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 5:03 pm    

Ok Steelers, how would you line them up? I have the following Boss effects that I want to line up with the best audio results,how would you do it? Coming out of the Steel to the PSM-5 Power supply first.Compreser CS-3,Acoustic AC-2, EQ GE7, SuperChorus CH-1,Dig. Delay DD-1,Distortion DS-1,And finally my Boss Tuner TU12H.Up for suggestions.Thanks, Frank

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2004 6:38 pm    

what problem are you trying to solve?
what's wrong with hooking them up like you list them?

In general, I'd put triggered effects, like an envelope follower or auto-wah or compression first (maybe distortion too) and reverb and delay last. Chorus can go pretty much anywhere. EQ should go after anything that colors your tone, so you can adjust that out.

That is a lot of stuff in the signal chain. Are you sure you need it all?

You might put the compressor before the volume pedal and everything else after.
You will have to experiment, but I suspect that arranging them like I mentioned above should work fine. I wouldn't put the tuner in the signal chain. If you must have it plugged in all the time, put it in the second volume pedal output.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 29 April 2004 at 08:10 PM.]

FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 3:29 am    

Thanks Larry, I know its a lot of effects but I like to try different things on my rigs.One proublem I was having was the acoustic sim has been breaking up in the chain,but when I use it alone I get a real cool dobro type effect.So I guess maybe try and put the eq after it in the chain.

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 7:18 am    

Hi Frank, I may have posted this before but if not here we go again:

Dynamic effects should (usually) go first in the chain. Compressors, overdrives, distortion and EQ. All modulation effects go last. (delays, chorus, reverbs).

The simulator may get overdriven by the effects that come first. So you will either need to place it first in the chain or turn down the gain of other pedals before it.

As for which dynamics go where, that is up to you. Some put the compressor first other the EQ. This debate goes on for ever. If the EQ comes before the compressor, the compressor will try and compensate for the gain/peaks of the Freq you are using on the EQ. If the compressor goes first and then the EQ, you know longer have a smooth signal, because after you smooothed it out, you used the EQ to bring up some freq's, which causes peaks. (I place the EQ after the Comp.)

Distortion pedals can go before or after a compressor, but usually not after a modulation effect. If the distortion comes after the compressor you will get a real even/smooth sound, but this will alter how the Distortion pedal sounds. If the distortion pedal comes first, the actual sound of the pickup is brought out. This is because some strings on your guitar are louder than others. This sometime subtle change in output from string to string means that the distortion will interact with each string differently. This give it the character of the pickup. But as stated above if you compress first, all strings will have very simular output, which will be smoother but less character. Your Choice, I like the Distoriton first, as long as it is not a real noisy unit. THe comp can raise the noise floor of any noisy pedals that come first.

So if you cant for some reason buffer the AC-2, I would place that first, but other wise after the EQ and use the gain slider on the EQ to buffer it.'

So I would try: PSM-5, DS-1, CS-3, GE7, AC-2, CH1, DD-1 return to PSM-5 then to Tuner.

When tuning use the PSM to cut out the pedal chain. Also interesting enough, try using the PSM-5 to see how much the pedals (even in off position) alter your tone. Boss pedals are not true bypass, and still go through a buffer stage even when not in use. Most of these need a battery even if you have them off.

YMMV<

Joe

FRANK MARIANO

PENSACOLA FL
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 11:12 am    

Hey Joe, Great info I will put it to the test this week end. Thanks for your time on this.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 12:10 pm    

Having used Boss pedals for a long time I would place them this way.
Guitar->PSM5 -> AC2 -> CS3 -> GE7-> CH1 -> DS1 -> DD1 & back to PSM5.
I have tried using both the chorus and Eq after the distortion but I did not think it sounded as good. On high distortion settings be aware that the chorus can cause unwanted noise. You might also try connecting a volume pedal between the DS1 and the DD1.

Bengt Erlandsen