The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  traveling overseas..what about amps?
Steve B

Garland Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 12:52 pm    

My band might have an offer to play some shows overseas, maybe in Korea or Germany. Obviously we would invest in some good cases for the steel, guitars & bass. What about amps? Is it common practice to rent amps when doing tours like this? Has anybody had good luck renting amps like the Nashville 400, Fender twin, and bass amps?

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 1:47 am    

Hi Steve,

Korea and Germany ... are you doing a DOD military tour? They are a lot of fun. And you won't have to worry aboiut the voltage.

I would take your own amplifiers but not PA. The clubs or military guys will take care of sound reinforcement. But don't try to rent, beg, or borrow amps locally. For one thing you won't get the right ones. And you will be so beat up with traveling that the last thing you'll want to do when you get to town is go try to round up some (decent) amps.

Take the minimum amps you need to get a decent sound .... I recommend leaving your stereo rig and the bass player's monster stack at home! Tip: Make light plywood cases--essentially boxes--for the amps, that have a slot for the handle to stick out, and a "bottom" piece that can attach with small padlocks to 2 hasps. So the 'box' stays on the amp for travel, then just unlock the locks, the bottom piece comes off, and you slip the box off the amp. It's a poor man's Anvil case!

If you provide more details of your gigs, I'll bet some other Forumites can provide some good suggestions.

Chris
(veteran of 3 DOD tours, 1986-87)

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 8:23 am    

I have gone to Europe to play at least once a year for the past 15 years or so. Once upon a time it was sometimes hard to get a good amp lined up. You never knew what you were going to get. Within the past few years, the situation is far better, at least from what I have seen. Peavey 400's and 500's seem pretty easy to come by. A lot of the larger sound companies that do backlines have them. I have seen a lot of Twins with JBL's too. I really think it depends a lot on who is booking and advancing the date, the budget, and the level of communication. Personally, I have never entertained the notion of taking an amp. Sometimes you get a bum one, but in those instances just have to "cowboy up" as we say. (Is that what that great beer over there is for?) I will say that for whatever reason, the 220 voltage amps have always sounded different to me...Maybe one of our amp gurus could enlighten me on why this may be. (Yes, you will encounter 220 in Germany). If you are planning on taking effects, I have some experiences in this area if you are interested.

Tommy

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 8:40 am    

What Tommy say's, and I would only take my little bag of DC stomp boxes.
If you take your amp you'll have to wag a heavy converter around everywhere you go and still wind up with 50 cycles on the power.
Tommy, could that 50 cycles be the "differences" you hear in the 220v amps ? just a thought.

Any equipment you have to play thru, you're gonna have fun, go for it,and enjoy.

------------------
kenny
66 Emmons 8&7
Derby D-10 8&7

Steve B

Garland Texas
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 8:56 am    

Thanks for the tips. I will be sure to let you guys know how this unfolds!

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 10:47 am    

Quote:
I will say that for whatever reason, the 220 voltage amps have always sounded different to me...Maybe one of our amp gurus could enlighten me on why this may be. (Yes, you will encounter 220 in Germany).

And I was thinking all you guys were sounding funny...
JJ

------------------

STEELDAYS 2000
my web-site
my band COD

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 2:18 pm    

Seems like Tommy D. has summed it up Well !
Voltage in Europa is 220 v.
i believe there's a diff in cycles :
50 cycles in Europa / 60 cycles in US
(or is it vice versa ?)
same goes for, DC in Europa / AC in US
(or is it vice versa ?)i'm no Amp Guru !!!!

so amps do sound better here ?
+ a whole bunch of ya's do sound funny ?
Beats me...:roll eyes:

Luggin' your amps w: kases + Transformers are Weight + $$$ !!!
Fenders + Peaveys are commonly found in EEC, especially UK, Holland, Belgium, Germany, France, + Scandinavia. Make sure you insist on the gear you'll be needing if you have them rented or furnished by the Booking agent.
LOL + have a great Time,
(don't ferget,the Beers are Dyno*Mite here !)
Have Guitbox, Will Travel

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 5:32 pm    

What is 50 cycle DC? Same as 60 cycle DC but a little slower?

[This message was edited by Earnest Bovine on 13 January 2001 at 05:39 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 5:53 pm    

E.B. Picky, Picky, Picky.