The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Super-Sustain Matchbox (7A)
David Rupert

Mesa, Arizona (via Mahopac, NY & Missouri).
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2001 11:33 pm    

I use a Goodrich Super-Sustain Matchbox (7A)...which I love, & couldn't do without.

My question is: even though it has a LONG battery life...can it be modified, so it could run off of an AC adaptor? Of course, a hole would have to be drilled at the bottom of the unit.

Does John LeMay...or anyone else, do this kind of mod.? And...can it even be done?

BTW, I was checking the batteries in it, about a week ago...& when I was taking off the 9V clip, one of the wires fell out. I was a bit upset...knowing I wouldn't be able to use it for a while. THEN...when I put the unit down, another wire...from the other terminal fell out. I wasn't too happy...& was also asking myself: What are the odds on 2 wires falling off, in the same day??? Strange.

------------------
David (DJ) Rupert

1995 Mullen D-10
Nashville 400 Amp
Goodrich Volume Pedal (L120)
Goodrich S/S Matchbox (7A)
Boss - Dual Overdrive (SD-2)
Boss - Digital Delay (DD-5)
Boss - Super Phaser (PH-2)

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

www.johnbarnold.com/rupert/index.htm

[This message was edited by David Rupert on 01 January 2001 at 11:40 PM.]

[This message was edited by David Rupert on 01 January 2001 at 11:44 PM.]

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 7:29 am    

Sure David- it's an easy thing to do.. Gerry Walker made an 18 volt pwer supply for me for something I had awhile back- I've also converted my tuner and onboard effects to be sans batteries again using Jerry's adaptors. Don't know if he's actually in the business of doing that 'cause he's the amplifier guru but give him a buzz- Gerry Walker gdwalker@cari.net @ 619-460-5008 or visit his web site www.stereosteel.com ~

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 10:17 am    

David, here are some things to consider when powering a battery powered device with a AC to DC adapter. It is important to get the same voltage as the batteries add up to. Current of the adapter is important only if it can't handle the load. In your case, there isn' much current. I would suspect around 4 to 6 mili-amps. Many battery powered devices do not have voltage regulators in them. Most power supplies under $20.00 do not have voltage regulators in them. These are termed "unregulated" power supplies. When you hook up to a AC 120 volt power line, you hook up to lots of problems beyond battery power. Battery power is a isolated situation. Unless you have proper filtering, noise, and failure protection your device won't last long ,and it may not even work correctly. Some get away with changing from battery power to AC power,and have no problems. As a manufacturer of electronics, I can tell you that you risk blowing up your device. It may not even happen right off, but eventually the lack of protection and filtering in the battery powered device will catch up to you. Yes, you can power your device, but to do it correctly, would require a regulated power supply. Regulated power supplies usually include, all kinds of protection from failure and noise. The only problem is most of them cost quite a bit. I hope this helps. Keith Hilton

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 4:56 pm    

I wanted to say something else, because I may of not made myself clear. I'm certain any great electronics person, like Gerry Walker, or John LeMay, can build you a great power supply. What I wanted to get across is that you can't go to Radio Shack and buy any old 9 volt adapter,strip back and hook up two wires, and expect it to work. Some people assume you can buy the same volt adapter, hook up two wires, and be in business. It don't work that way. Many devices work off of a dual polarity power supply, where you have 3 wires instead of two. Plus, minus, and a ground! Then there are AC to AC adapters and AC to DC adapters.

David Rupert

Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 11:24 pm    

Thanks very much, everyone. I really appreciate your replies...& all of the great info./input!!

I'll print-out all of your replies...for reference.

Again...thanks very much, I really appreciate your help!!

BTW...all of my effects units, are running off of an adaptor. My Matchbox, is the only device...that relies on batteries.

------------------
David (DJ) Rupert

1995 Mullen D-10
Nashville 400 Amp

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 3:17 am    

The easiest thing to do is add an on/off switch to the unit. I had an older matchbox and used a small toggle switch in series with the ground lead on the output jack. The output jack (on the model I had) acted as the "on/off switch" when a cable was plugged in. With the on/off switch in series with the plug, both the plug and switch had to be on. If you removed the plug it would turn off, or you could leave the guitar cord plugged in and just turn it off with the switch. Came in handy on the stage as you could turn it off during breaks, or if you have it set up at home you could turn it off with the switch instead of unplugging the cord all the time.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 5:13 pm    

I think Jack's idea is the best. I purchased one of the very first Matchboxes made by Goodrich. I used it for years before I finally changed the battery. Even then, the battery still had power. I just changed it because....well, I just figured it was time!

Lee, from South Texas

David Rupert

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 10:50 pm    

Thanks, Jack & Lee...

Jack, on the model I have (7A)...it has an on/off switch (toggle type). I like that a lot.

Lee, you're right...the batteries DO last a long time. I've had the same batteries in mine...for about a year & a half. I like to check them, w/a battery tester...about every 2-3 months. It would be great, if Goodrich had put a small switch w/a Battery Check Indicator (LED) on the unit. Then...you would know the status of the batteries, at the touch of a button.

------------------
David (DJ) Rupert

1995 Mullen D-10
Nashville 400 Amp