The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  original profex
TRAP TRULY

Mobile , AL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 8:16 pm    

there is one for sale here for $150.there is not much info on the originals available,is this something worth getting? can it be upgraded to a profex 2. what are its shortcomings to the profex 2 and the others?
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks. trap

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 7:31 am    

Trap,
The original ProFex is in my opinion a superior unit to the ProFex II, as it has a headphone jack and DOESN'T use a wall wart.
The ONLY downside to a ProFex is that you can't use a RAM card with it. They are very simple to manually program. The Steel Guitar program parameters are readily available. I only use about 4-5 of the steel settings. I don't believe they can be feasibly upgraded to a ProFexII.

The ultimate Peavey steel guitar processor is the TubeFex/TransTube Fex. They have basically all the features of the ProFex plus outboard eq, volume/gain controls,and a chromatic tuner and don't require a wall wart.

This is by far an incomplete evaluation, but it should give you the basics.

Regards,
Bob

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 7:37 am    

The original Profex was a good unit. However, the Profex II seemed to be more flexible for steel guitarists than the original Profex. One feature that the Profex had over the Profex II was a headphone output. But, the Profex II had the ram cartridge slot. If you would like specifics on the original Profex, you may download the operating guide from the Peavey website at "www.peavey.com".