The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A final plea...........
Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 10:41 am    

First, many thanks to all for their comments on favorite components. I am still attempting to make an intelligent decision on the rackmount vs. amp setup. I have tentatively narrowed my selection down to the 3 configurations below. I know tone is very subjective and equally difficult to describe in words. For what its worth, my attraction to the instrument is E9th country ballad steel. I strongly lean toward the "highs". I have a ZumSteel S10. Here are my configurations.

I would greatly appreciate any comments of the tradeoffs between each of them.

1. Mosvalve 1500 power amp, 9002 real tube2 with steel mod, Lexicon MPX-1, JBL speakers(from Webb)

2. SteroSteel preamp/power amp, Lexicon MPX-1, JBL speakers (from SteroSteel or Webb)

3. High-end Webb amp for Steel containing JBL. (I assume adding the Lexicon here would be overkill?)

Thanks in advance for sharing,

Allen

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 11:09 am    

After playing Evans amps for 20 years, I switched to a Stereo Steel rig 2 years ago. Check out the web site at: http://www.stereosteel.com

GD Walker is an electronics genius and as a steel player himself, has designed his system to be the most player friendly unit I've seen. You can buy his rig complete with preamp/amp, Digitech Studio Quad 4 digital processor, and speakers. It's the best sounding, lightest, and most complete setup I know of that you can buy as one unit.

At one time I had the Stereo Steel and a Mosvalve 500 amp side by side. The tests I did revealed hardly any difference in sound, and with the Stereo Steel's built in preamp, it saved me from buying another rack piece, plus it's MUCH lighter!

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@home.com
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-12 8&5=-

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 11:31 am    

On #3 - depends what you mean by overkill. You have A LOT of options with the Lex that aren't present on the Webb. But then you've got a combo + a one-space rack to lug around. I expect the Webb has pretty nice reverb, but I don't have any personal experience. If I got the Webb, I'd probably forego on the Lex and save that for a rack system in the future.

I have owned both #1 and #2, but with Emminence speakers instead of the JBLs. Both are outstanding. But if you liked the highs, my bet would be that you'd go for the Tubeworks preamp over Gerry's SS unit (slight edge). Either way, you will have a GREAT system.

Finally, my guess is that no matter how you end up going, you'll have ants-in-your-pants before long, wanting to try out newer, better(?) things or searching for 'some sound' that's in your head. I think it's the nature of the beast.

Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 12:30 pm    

Okay guys, it is a tight race so far but the voting totals are as follows:

Option #1 - 1
Option #2 - 1
Option #3 - 0

Remember, nothing is officical until all Florida abstentee ballots are counted.

Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 12:37 pm    

Take two, without the typos

Okay guys, it is a tight race so far but the voting totals are as follows:

Option #1 - 1
Option #2 - 1
Option #3 - 0

Remember, nothing is official until all Florida absentee ballots are counted.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 12:52 pm    

Since I'm in Florida, I vote for none of the above....

My rack system is a Peavey Transtube Fex with a MosValve 500 power amp and two Peavey 12" BW steel guitar speakers.

Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 12:59 pm    

Jack,

Your write-in vote has been tabulated.

Please remember guys, the highs are the most important consideration for me.

Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 2:02 pm    

BCole,

Thanks for your vote. My condolences on the Clinton clan....guess they had to go somewhere.

Allen Staron, GOP steel player. Maybe I'll use my "tax cut" to pay for this new rig.

Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 2:10 pm    

It is still anybody's race.

Option #1 - 1
Option #2 - 1
Option #3 - 0
Write in - 2

Although Peavey makes durable stuff and I have gotten good support from them, their mids are a little low for my taste.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 2:31 pm    

My observation, Allen, is that there is more sound shaping versatility in a rack system than in either the Peavey Session 400 Ltd. or the Evans FET 500 Custom that I have. My rack has a Carvin Tube preamp and Mosvalve 962 (lower power than the 500).
But I have also found that a lot of bets are off when you are cranking and mixing in with a band. Then the useful tonal range is much narrower--the finesse tone tweaks don't matter much when you are looking to cut through the mix. I'm talking about bar level playing. Different story if you're running through the board into a sound system.

Anyway, for me an important factor is the convenience of a combo amp. The Evans is at the moment my unit of choice--it is lighter than the Session (and more cookin') and it is one less piece than a rack and speaker cab.
Put wheels on it, put the guitar case on top, accessory bag on top, and I'm a wheelin' down the road fool.

JMHO

------------------
Carter U-12

StartUp Steel

Photo Gallery

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 08 November 2000 at 02:33 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 3:33 pm    

The Webb reverb is pretty, but it's nowhere near as nice as a Lexicon!

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 6:00 pm    

Option 1 for sure. Try it with a pair of 12 " speakers. If you lean to the high side as far as tone goes, you will love it. I have the same setup and I would not go back to an amp system. Well, never say never, but I really like the rack system.

John Hawkins

Onalaska, Tx. on Lake Livingston * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 7:20 pm    

Allen,
I play the same Stereo Steel set up built by Gerry Walker that Jim Smith has and believe me ,it is a fantastic set up . Gerry is a fine guy to deal with and will always do what he says . I have been more than happy with my Stereo Steel Combo ,Digitech Quad 4 effects unit and two ( 2) tuned, closed back cabinets loaded with 15 inch Peavey Black Widow Speakers . All ( except the speakers of course ) built by Gerry Walker . Wish I had purchased the entire set up before I did . I have had it about two years and played it hard ! It is light weight and very user friendly .

I can say it has always given me the very best service, great sound and "punch" I wanted .

Check it out closely with Gerry before you finally decide !! Don't believe you will be sorry .

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose !

John

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 7:26 pm    

Allen, You can't miss with either option 1 or 2. I have both of these rigs [the Tubeworks is the earlier bkbutler model]
I don't know which I like better.
Tubeworks...big and warm tube type sound wonderful tone but weighty. 2 channels.
Stereo Steel...LOTS of neat features and lighter...solid state sound and you deal with the owner/builder GD Walker. Best service around.. He will take care of you. I need to sell one of these but I can't decide.....

Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 8:51 pm    

The polls will remain open until we have a new president. Current standing:

Option #1 - 3
Option #2 - 3
Option #3 - 0
Write-in 2

Thanks to all so far.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2000 10:51 pm    

I have option(s) 1 & 3. 1 includes the TubeWorks 921 reverb in my rack & the Digitech 2112. I also have an older 6-14E Webb along with a 6-14 GP Webb (love those Webbs). There all very nice but different. Rack vs. single......depends on my playing venue I guess.

By the way......Polls aren't in yet!

[This message was edited by Kevin Mincke on 08 November 2000 at 10:52 PM.]

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2000 12:30 pm    

Allen,

I'm with Jack. If you want highs, then use two Peavey 1203-4 12-inch speakers. I use a MosValve 500 with an Evan's preamp and a Lexicon reverb. I generally keep the treble on the preamp at 1 or below to keep from having brittle fracture of the eardrums. It's a great setup, but heavy.

Bill

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 6:20 am    

Option #2- hands down

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 9:02 am    

Sorry Jack Stoner,

The team I sent to florida to recount the votes threw yours out because you "punched it too hard bubba"

carl

PS. Wouldn't it be nice if all candidates in history could go back and keep counting until it turned out like THEY wanted it and then of course the country must abide by their findings?

NOT!

Allen Staron

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 3:57 pm    

The polls are still open. After two recounts the standings are as follows.

Option #1 - 4
Option #2 - 4
Option #3 - 1
Write-in - 2

Since I have a chance at a good price on Option #1, I will keep recounting until Option #1 is the winner.....provided that the Florida Justice System doesn't shut me down tomorrow!

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2000 4:29 pm    

Allen...Tube Works! (what would you expect ME to say ?)
RC

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 12:47 pm    

UNlike the Florida election, this is at least a contest where you'll be happy no matter what gets decided. These are all outstanding rigs and I can't imagine you'd feel bad with any of them. Seems like this one might come down to what prices you can find on each and what your personal version of 'convenience' is. In other words, you also ought to think in terms of what type of rig you'd rather be shuttling to and from wherever it is that you need to be shuttling them.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 1:43 pm    

I vote for number 1. (I hope I punched the right hole. It was sooooo confusing!)

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 3:02 pm    

I'm gonna vote twice. So there!
Actually, just a clarification--my vote wasn't for Evans so much as for a combo amp. For the reasons as I stated above and as Rayman says.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2000 3:33 pm    

Someone please help me, It is now more confusing than ever.

Actually my county (Pasco Co) is not one of those that are in the limelight.