The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eveans pre..amp. EQ.
Grayson Joe

Raleigh,Ms.39153
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 6:48 am    

I have been thinking about going over to a rack mount system...i tryed the sterio steel pre..amp and the tone was to tinney...to keen ...what about those of you that own the evans pre amp...do it have shift, mid, low, high, and present tone controls on it? if not, who else makes a good steelguitar pre.amp?

------------------
Joe Grayson,Monticello ms

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 11:09 am    

The Evans has 'depth' and 'expand' controls to shape the signal in addition to Lo, Mid, Hi. No presence or shift in the Peavey sense. I use a Tubeworks 9002 which is very clean. I found it to be cleaner than the Evans - particularly in the low end - after A/Bing them. It can be very bright, but not what I would describe as tinny. I like clear highs, so it works for me.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2000 11:14 am    

Joe, my Stereo Steel has never sounded "tinny" to me. Normally I start with all the tone controls set at half way or straight up. Depending on the room I may cut the highs or boost the bass a little, but that's it. Try setting it like that, maybe you've been trying to use settings similar to those "other" steel amps?!?

Grayson Joe

Raleigh,Ms.39153
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 3:54 am    

Thanks Jim and Steve for the infro. on the s/steel and evans preamps...Jim you may be right on the tone you get out of the sterio steel pre amp...when i were trying it out i were useing the hilton foot vol. which gives a brigter tone.. but i also tryed it with a reg. goodrich pedal and it helped some, but to me it was still to tinney on the unwraped strings on tone???...Steve..you are saying the tone controls on the Evans pre amp. are the same as thir reg. amps.? i never was impressed with the tone of a Evans amp. i did,nt know where they made any changes on the newer rack pre amp or what..i understand John Hughey uses a Evans pre..amp. and get a great tone...BUT..he also has the best effect too, the LXP 1 and 5...which makes a lot of his sweet tone...i just want a pre amp. thats clean, not tinny and not to bassy

------------------

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 10:30 am    

Joe - I'm saying that I was under the impression that the tone controls on the Evans rack are the same as on the combo WITH THE EXCEPTION that the depth and expand controls are no longer toggle switches, but continuously adjustable pots.

This is what Buddy Emmons has recommended here on the Forum for dialing in your EQ:

Starting with 'neutral' conditions and the bass turned up high, lower the bass until you get rid of the 'woofy' sound. Bring the mids up until you hit a sweet spot. Bring up the highs until you can hear them filter through the mids. On systems that have presence controls (mine are on the power amp), you might want to back off the treble just a fuzz and increase the presence.

Give it a shot. I've also owned the Stereo steel preamp and it's VERY good as Jim said. Like I said, I prefer the Tubeworks SLIGHTLY, but you should definately be able to get a good sound out of the Stereo Steel.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 25 November 2000 at 10:32 AM.]

Grayson Joe

Raleigh,Ms.39153
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 11:51 am    

Thanks Steve for your reply...the tone setings that Buddy Emmons recommended...is this for the Evans or s/steel????? thanks Joe Grayson>>>

------------------

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2000 12:05 pm    

They're really just kind of generic. I use that approach on my rack system as well as a Fender combo. But Buddy was using this approach for tweaking either a Nashville 400 or a Session (and, of course, the Stereo Steel has the same parametric knob on there as the Peaveys). You might want to try doing a search on Buddy Emmons and amps or something like that. You could probably resurrect the orginal thread.

[This message was edited by Steve Feldman on 25 November 2000 at 12:06 PM.]

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2000 7:02 am    

For total(?) control of annoying/pleasing frequencies the Furman PQ-3 preamp/eq is great.Three fully parametric controls which is like having the midrange shift feature on all tone controls(w.the addition of a broad/narrow control on each).Find the frequency you like or dislike and increase/decrease accordingly.Easy and accurate.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

[This message was edited by Olli Haavisto on 26 November 2000 at 07:03 AM.]

[This message was edited by Olli Haavisto on 26 November 2000 at 07:03 AM.]