The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dobro Simultor
Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2000 4:36 pm    

I am considering buying a dobro simulator e.g.'Match Bro'. I would welcome some feedback on these from forumites as to + or -various attributes for these machines.

------------------
Chippy
Carter S10/Pad

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2000 9:57 pm    

[This message was edited by Keith Murrow on 26 October 2004 at 04:38 PM.]

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2000 8:58 am    

I like mine. I wouldn't part with it. I've had mine for over a year. About $375.00 and worth it.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2000 10:43 am    

I feel the same as Fred. It's a great unit. And as somebody pointed out, it's $4,000 cheaper and a hundred pounds lighter than the competition.

To quote a certain well known cereal commercial, "Try it. You'll like it."

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2000 8:03 pm    

For playing live the Matchbro is a good way to go. For recording, it's a completely different story. The sound of a pedal steel through a Matchbro versus the acoustic sound of a Pedabro or dobro is like the difference between the sound of a strat with a fishman bridge piezo versus a good acoustic guitar. There is a reason you won't hear a Matchbro on a recording.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2000 9:57 pm    

Chippy,
I just tried sending you an e-mail,& it came back,saying,"mail rejected. administrative prohibition". What gives?

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 9:05 am    

Here's another alternative, the Marrs "cat-can" Resonator guitar simulator- neat little thing like just the neck of a steel, with a pickup and an actual cat food can for the resonator- it sounds very much like a Dobro, since it is actually a resonator. I see 'em on ebay once in a while, and I might be persuaded to part with mine...

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 7:48 pm    

I shouldn't have said you won't hear recordings using the Match-Bro. But I don't know of any top 10 recordings in the last 10 years that have used them, as opposed to countless recordings with the Ped-A-Bro or 'real' dobro. That said, the Match-Bro is a great solution for live performance, especially in loud bands. I don't think that the Ped-A-Bro through a steel guitar amplifier sounds a lot more 'dobro-like' than a pedal steel through a Match-Bro.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Chippy Wood

Elgin, Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2000 11:42 pm    

Thanks all you guy's for some very interesting posts, also thanks for the e-mails I received it certainly concentrates the mind.
Smiley,I tried replying to you via e-mail but the message was returned sayin that your mail box was full,could be that the problem is at your end.

------------------
Chippy
Carter S10/Pad

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2000 12:35 pm    

Chippy,
Since this concerns i'net problems,I've posted a message for you on the "Computers" thread. It shows what I get,when I try to e-mail you. I contacted web tv,& they "suggest" that you contact your I.S.P.(of course). Hope we can resolve this.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 6:47 am    

MatchBro is used during first half of "No one needs to Know" on Shania Twains Woman in Me. Played, if I'm not mistaken, by John Hughey. In the middle of the song he flips the switch back to steel. In general, I find the matchbro most effective by exaggerating "dobro-type" slides and avoiding using pedals. Also, using the bar that comes with it helps. It's not metal and cuts out alot of the sustain inherant in the pedal steel. I've done sessions using it on my old Gibson lap steel with G tuning and it sounds even closer. In the end though, ended up getting the real deal, a 27 delux. The studio seems to reveal and magnify any shortcoming all too well

[This message was edited by Marc Muller on 21 October 2000 at 07:49 AM.]

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2000 10:03 am    

I'm also a satisfied Matchbro user, and another possibility is using a Boss GE-7
eq pedal. A customer at the old Guitar City
in Lakewood,CO, when Mike Russo owned the store, showed us his trick. You can simulate
a dobro sound by cutting 100,400,1.6K and6.4K
while boosting 200,800,3.2K. Start out with them at full boost and full cut and then
adjust to taste.It's not quite as good as a Matchbro, but works quite well on a budget.