The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  AMP Questions ??? For a dummy...
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 5:09 am    

Hi all,

First let me thank everyone for their input, responses and experiences which helped me in deciding which choice to make for the "right" guitar. The information and knowledge given by everyone here is invaluable and worth alot more than meets the eye.

I have yet to purchase an amp and my problem is not what kind of amp to buy, which manufacturer or model, or from whom to buy it from, I just need to know more about the different amps, their specs, etc. I am an Electronics/RF/Design eEngineer and Telecommunications Manager by trade and have fallen into the "love trap" with my background in electronics and gadgets. Everything I hear on the forum regarding amps is basically the name, the model, the speaker type, etc. I have searched in vain, and I can't find specific technical information on the different amps. The only thing I see in detail on the web is the Nash 1000 & Session 2000.

What I would like to know, from those of you out there with ownership, experience or knowledge, is the actual specs of the different amps, such as peak power out, RMS power, current draw at full load, input impedances, output impedances (ohms/load, 2 ohms, 4 ohms and why), whether or not the amp is a tube amp or "transistor"/digital, differences between the two other than "tone", what size speakers are in the different amps, why the type of speaker matters and size (I know), (i.e., differences between a JBL & Blk. Widow of the same size), whether or not the older amps would have speakers that may have deteriorated or not either physically or "electrically", whether or not the cones can be changed and are available or if not, which replacement is best, etc., the output "wattage", what is best for home use vs. club use, is there an amp that can be used for both, etc... Also if impedance matching devices must be used, and why (i.e., matchbox). I will be playing a Carter SD12-U and using a Goodrich L-10K lowboy pedal.

I don't mean to make this a big deal, but I really need to quickly decide on which amp to buy really soon, since so many of you folks have them for sale, and why I should buy a specific amp. This is all new to me.

I don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred bux or more on an amp, then have to spend more $ to make it sound good if ya know what I mean.

I hope this is not too much info to ask for, and this may be a "dumb" inquiry because of the the replies and info on the forum. I suppose that different Amps to different people are like different women (or men, girls) in your eyes. Some are hot, and some are not!...

Anxiously awaiting any replies and thanks in advance.

Regards,

John

------------------
Steelin' is a way of life!

[This message was edited by John Sims on 04 October 2000 at 06:13 AM.]

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 5:28 am    

John,
You can find a lot of the info that you need on Peavey amps here www.peavey.com

I would strongly suspect that most any of the Peavey 400 series steel amps would do the job for you, as they have been sufficent over the years for the likes of Buddy Emmons, Curly Chalker, Lloyd Green, and the list goes on and on.

My favorites are the Vegas or the Session 400s.
These amps are advertised to produce 210 watts RMS into 4 ohms, and power consumption is listed @ 700 watts, whatever all this means.

I hope this is of help to you.

Best Regards,
Bob

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 6:06 am    

Gerry Walker of GD Walker Electronics would be glad to answer your questsions- 1-619-460-5008

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 6:35 am    

Beside being a steeler, I am also an electronics tech (and did amp repair for a living in Nashville) and have had Commerical FCC Radiotelephone and Amateur Radio licenses and I'm a retired Telecommunications and Network Manager. I too look at the technical side a lot of times.

I don't think you can go wrong with Peavey. They are solid state amps and are what a good many of the "pros" use. I have a Peavey Nashville 400 (out of production) which was the workhorse of the industry for many years and I also have a "stereo" system that uses a Peavey Transtube Fex, MosValve500 power amp and two separate speakers. I don't recommend the "stereo" as a starter rig.

There are other steel guitar amps out there, such as Evans, Webb, GD Walker stereo, etc. However, if I were to buy a new steel amp today it would probably be the Peavey 1000.

Everyone has their favorite amps and I don't knock anyone elses amps. Just my own preference.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 6:36 am    

Bob,

I am at work, and don't have access to my home e-mail. I think you sent me some e-mail a few weeks ago regarding an amp. Do you still have it and which amp/price?

Thanks!

------------------

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 6:41 am    

Thanks Jack, I was just trying to make the right choice as far as not buying an obsolete amp, hard to find parts, etc. Plus the other concerns.

BTW my call KA4ZAY

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 6:46 am    

Forgot to mention...^

Looking specifically at

Session 400 LTD

Vegas 400

Session 500

Nashville 500

Classic 30

Thanks for the replies on the differences in these amps. I did find the owners manuals on Peavey dot com, and will also look at them...

John

------------------

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 6:58 am    

1) Are you going to be playing regular guitar through it? (Or any other instrument?)

2) Is it for home practicing only, for band practice, for gigging, or all of the above?

IMHO, if it were going to be used with 6 string as well, and only for home practicing or small group practicing, I would go with the Classic 30.

If you were going to gig with it and also play a 6 string, I personally don't know if any of the others would be a good combination without some sort of extra processor (distortion, overdrive, compressor, etc.).

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 7:12 am    

Home and Band, 12 string single Carter.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 7:48 am    

Hello John,
You have quite a few questions and I would like to answer them for you concerning any Peavey steel guitar amplifier, new or used. I can be reached at our U.S. toll free number from 8am-5pm Monday through Friday.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for considering Peavey products for your performances.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 7:50 am    

John, I know you're the "engineering type", but most of what you mentioned shouldn't really concern you when you shop for an amp. Who cares how much current it draws? Unless you're powering it from a gas generator, there'll always be enough amps available in ordinary service. Why worry about input impedances? The amps are DESIGNED to have a pickup driving them, and there won't be much difference in pickup impedances...anyway the amps are mostly designed with an input impedance to far surpass most any pickups, so loading won't really be a factor. Likewise, the output impedances aren't important...unless you plan on changing speaker configurations. Most amps will run one extension speaker, and that will be the most you will ever need. (Adding speakers can get to be an expensive proposition!) Peak power? Forget it! For all intents, this is a "useless" figure, and always was.

Now, on to the important things...

The R.M.S. output power can be very significant for steel. Bass and low mid-range tones take a LOT of power to produce, and project. For steel, unless you're just sitting in your living room, or always miking the amp, or just doing studio work, I wouldn't consider anything less than 60 watts....preferably 100 or more. You can always turn a big amp down, but you can't push a small one without getting distortion, and for steel...that's usually not good! Remember too, when you mike a small amp through the PA, if the PA's not up to snuff, or if the guy who's running it doesn't know HIS stuff, you're going to sound like crap! I only mike in the LARGEST venues (like a hall with 1,000 people, or outside gigs.)

As far as speakers go, buy a steel amp, and it will have steel speakers...it's that simple. I would recommend a Session 400, or if the budget permits, a Session 1000. These were designed with the steel in mind, so you should be happy. If you like the "warmer tube sound", you might consider an old Twin Reverb too, if the price is right.

All in all, it's very subjective, and telling someone what kind of amp to buy is a lot like telling them what kind of car to drive. Try out a few BEFORE you buy, and then you might not be disappointed (for a while!)

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 8:05 am    

Thanks Donny. My design experiaence got the best of me when I started this post. You answered alot of questions I didn't ask also. I am looking at the Peavey line, and more toward the Session 500. I also like the 15 inch speaker due to the low strings on the U-12, and now need to decide on the JBL E130 spkr or the Black Widow. I figure the price for the 500, being the same as the 400's I've seen is worth it.

Thanks again pal!

John

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 11:21 am    

I had a Session 500 and played through it for 15 years. It's a great amp but it is H E A V Y!. I replaced it with a Nashville 400, with the factory tone mod, and it's about 20 or so pounds lighter and has about the same sound (and it has the same parametric EQ). The Session 400's do not have the Parametric EQ. All the Peavey's come with 15" Black Widow speakers.

Call Mike Brown, as he suggests, at Peavey. Mike is also a steeler and is the "Steel Guitar Guru" for Peavey.

Ted Hughes

Ms. USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 11:27 am    

John, Peavey stand's behind there products to . I've been using Peavey for years . And also Mike will help you anytime you have a problem.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 5:35 pm    

Thanks all! I'm leaning toward the Nashville 400. There are a few on the forum for a great price, low hours, etc...

John

------------------

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 5:28 am    

John, thanks for calling me yesterday about out amps. Either of the amps that we discussed, the Nashville 400 or Session 500 would be a good choice. Just keep the weight factor in mind if you are going to carry it around to different venues. Good luck and thanks for considering Peavey. Call me when you have questions.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2000 7:50 am    

Thanks Mike. All of you have been very helpful, and it's greatly appreciated.

------------------

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 11:22 am    

Well,

I ended up purchasing a Nashville 1000. Thanks to all of you who were kind enough to take the time to reply...

------------------
Regards,

John

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 8:22 am    

Thanks,

I think I will be happy with the Nashville 1000. I appreciate all's input.

John

------------------
Regards,

John

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 4:19 pm    

John, Where did your buy the Nash 1000 from. AME on Davie Blvd sells Peavey. I deal with MATT at that music store. Thus far I purchased a PROFEX II and TRANSTUBEFEX from AME. You made a good choice the Nash 1000 will be a new amp not a used amp. I also own a Nash 400 and Session 500. I'll never part with these two amps. The Nash 400 is about 9 years old and the age of Session 500 at this time is unknown. The 500 weighs a ton and the Nash 400 is o.k when it comes to the weight factor. Both are great sounding amps. I was about to look into the new Peavey 2000 BUT since I also own a PROFEX II & TRANSTUBEFEX with twin speakers and a Peavey DPC 1400i, there is no need to go into the 2000. The 1000 might be my next amp, I can hook either the Profex or T.T.Fex into the 1000. Any good luck.
P.S. Strange steel guitar you have on your shoulder.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2000 9:02 pm    

Ken,

I got it from Bobby Boggs. Great deal!

John

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 5:31 am    

I see my picture link didn't work, but I fixed it...

------------------
Regards,

John

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 6:09 am    

Great choice, John.

Of course, I'm biased, becuase that's what I ending up buying.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:09 am    

Well,

Now I need to fine tune the settings...Any starting points would be appreciated.

------------------
Regards,

John

David Pennybaker

Conroe, TX USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2000 7:58 am    

Quote:
Now I need to fine tune the settings...Any starting points would be appreciated.

The instruction manual (downloadable from www.peavey.com ) has some starting point.

When I get home, I'll send you mine. Maurice Anderson adjusted them for me when I took my first lesson at his house a few weeks ago.

OOPS -- bear in mind, I'm using a Hilton Volume Pedal -- so these settings might not be right for your setup. I'll still post'em, though.

------------------
The Unofficial Photographer of The Wilkinsons