The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich problem!
Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2000 10:49 pm    

I have a l10k pedal and last weekend I had problems with it. It would eat batteries. I put a new one in and it would only last about 1 set.This was a real pain.I would like to know if any one has had this problem before. And if anyone has Goodriches e-mail or phone # I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help. DB

Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 12:22 am    

I've recently had this problem .. when I first got the pedal batteries would last foreever. The last couple of weeks, even with a new battery, when I'd swell into a chord about the half way point the signal would start breaking up real bad. It was really bad tonight. I was about to ask this same question. I'm thinking I should go with a passive volume pedal ...

Steve

Quesney Gibbs

Anniston, AL
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 1:41 am    

I have a Goodrich light pedal that I bought in about 1976 and it has not failed me once. I have often wondered why they are not made anymore. They are so reliable it's uncanny.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 7:15 am    

I had my Goodrich 10k do that and Ollie Goodrich replaced the microchip and the problem is gone.When the pedal failed I happened to be at Scotty`s convention,so I just went to the Goodrich booth and got the chip changed free of charge.Nice timing!
I think you can get a suitable chip at Radio Shack for a couple of $s.

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 8:10 am    

All the Goodrich products I've seen have the chip type numbers obliterated so you have to go back to Goodrich to get a replacement.

Steve Richter

Neenah, WI USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 12:57 pm    

Just took mine apart .. it's a Motorola MC33171P .. anybody know what the Radio Shack equivalent might be?

Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 2:15 pm    

My pedal has the same chip. put in another with a different # just to try and it didn't work. Does anybody have a # for goodrich or e-mail? I need to get this fixed by next weekend!Thanks in advance. DB

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 4:29 pm    

Dave, Here is the info on Goodrich:
Goodrich Sound co.
8733 Silver Creek Road
Whitehall,MI 49461
PH 231-893-5702
I dont think they have an Email address.

------------------
Jerry Wallace-Zum: D-10,8+8, Zum: D-10,8+5, Franklin: D-10,8+9[S#002] ,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2000 8:08 pm    

Radio Shack does not show a cross reference for the same chip ,in the reference book I have. I tried to look it up in the NTE book,and couldn't find it. I don't think the distributors-- Mouser or Digi-Key sells Motorola. I looked in Newark's catalog as they handle Motorola. I found it. It is just a single supply OP AMP. If you want to buy one call up Newark at 1-800-463-9275. You can go to the Newark web-site and find out what the chip costs. Go to-------- www.newark.com Hope this helps.

------------------

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 7:44 am    

I just replaced the op-amp in an H10K with this part from Mouser:

MC33171N

Seems to work fine, although I was wondering a little about the N suffix. I think they were .58 each, no minimum order.

http://www.mouser.com/products/detail.cfm?MPart=511-MC33171N&CustRef=.&source=search&CFID=105401&CFTOKEN=583106

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

Dave Burton

Richland,Wa. USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 8:05 am    

Thanks alot Jerry & Keith, your help is greatly appreciated.I just got off the phone with Ollie Goodrich and explained my problem to him.He said that the chip going out was very unusual but could happen. He also suggested that I check my battery wires for pinching and the sockets themselves for proper connection.The chip that comes in the pedal is a mc33171p and Ollie says that that is the only one that will work,don't know if that's true or not.Ollie was helpful but I felt my problem was insignificant to him,maybe that was just me, and this problem is minor in relation to alot of things but in the last set at last Saturday's gig I had no volume pedal.I can't afford to have a backup right now but hope to soon.Just some toughts to kick around.This forum has helped me in more ways than one and I am forever greatful!DB

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2000 10:15 am    

As long as the OP AMP is a single supply and has the same "pin out", it will work. There are differences in the sound of different OP AMPs. Try some Burr Brown, or Analog Devices chips. I don't suppose there is anything wrong with using a single supply chip. I am just used to using dual supply chips.

------------------