The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel guitar amp
terryb

St. Helena, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 9:34 am    

Some of us like playing in stereo, using two amps. I am one of those guys, however, I am real tired of lugging two monsters around. Anyone know of an amp, like the Peavy Chrous210, that would be suitable for steel, say with at least two 200 watt amps in one enclosure?
Thanks,
TerryB

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 10:27 am    

Hey Terry,
I had a Session 500 that I used on steel and needed a guitar amp so I bought a Peavy Stereo Chorus 2-12 which was a great guitar amp. I loved the effects on it and everything so I took it to a steel gig one night and was dissapointed in the thing. It just didn't have the gonads for the steel. I think you need to have a 15" speaker for minimum requirements. The 12's were OK for low volume but couldn't cut it when cranked up. I personally don't see the use of using 2 amps anymore as in most situations you're miked anyway and it doesn't come out of the PA in stereo unless you have a good sound man. I now have a Nashville 400 and it does great!

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 10:43 am    

Your answer may lie in a rack rig.
Mosvalve is one:
http://www.genzbenz.com/

G.D.Walker is another
http://www.stereosteel.com/

I have a smaller Mosvalve power amp and a 2x10" cab that is wired for mono or stereo. But my very limited experience with this rig tells me that at least the speakers are too light for high level work. I think I'm sticking with my new/old Evans FET 500.

The Walker rig looks like a great option for stereo needs without needing a roadie.

[This message was edited by Jon Light on 24 September 2000 at 12:05 PM.]

terryb

St. Helena, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 11:40 am    

Thanks, guys. I will explore GD Walker's options, as I play in stereo for my own enjoyment, and most sound men are fairly compliant.
terryb

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 12:19 pm    

For a low $ stereo setup - I use an old Peavey musician head which has two channels with good equalization on both channels. It has a pretty good reverb. I use a stereo pedal and run one cord to each channel and with a dry signal on one and delay on the other. It give a pretty good stereo sound and I am only using one 15" cabinet.

------------------
Ron Petersen

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 5:49 pm    

Like Jerry Hayes, I sometimes use a Peavey Stereo Chorus 212. Admittedly, it didn't sound like the 130 watts/channel they claimed in the manual. I put the LeMay SuperMod in it, and that helped a lot. My next move will be to put in new speakers. The Scorpions don't seem to have much bottom (I suspect they are designed for rock-guitar players who are concerned with only "screaming highs") I will be trying BW's and EVM12L's, both of which I suspect are far superior to the Scorps.

The stereo sound, with the chorus effect, does add a lot of "spaciousness" to the sound, and a side benefit is that you can run the volume a lot higher, and sit in front of the amp without it blowing your head off. They will hear it in the back of the club, though!

This amp needs only the L-Mod, and good speakers to be a very acceptable amp for steel. About the only other thing we could have wished for would have been analog controls on the digital effects (instead of a selector switch).

terryb

St. Helena, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2000 9:41 pm    

Rpeterson, What speakers do you use in your 15" cabinet, and how do you separate the signal to get the stereo effect? Do you have two seperate speaker outputs wired from each channel? Are you using two speakers in your 15" enclosure? Just curious. GD Walker wants $1550 for his stereo setup. Ouch!!
TerryB

DonnyHenson, Does Peavey still sell the Chorus 212? When you are not using the Chorus effect, are you still able to play with a split signal (stereo)? What is the cost for the upgrade and how does it improve the amp...both channels?
TerryB

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 7:53 am    

I don`t believe that 15`s are minimum requirement for steel.Two 12" BWs or other high power speakers work fine if the pre amp and power amp driving them can deliver.
BW`s in a pair 1x12 Boogie cabs pump out all the bass I need and bass players think even less would be plenty.So,I think the problem with the Stereo Chorus is in the amp section which is designed for gtr,not steel?

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 9:03 am    

Yes, the Stereo Chorus series of amplifiers were designed for six string electric guitar use, and not necessarily for steel guitar. The Scopion speakers are generally voiced for electric six string guitar where the voicing of the speaker is boosted at the high mids to better reproduce that "bite" that guitarists love so much.

The Peavey 1203-4 Ohm Black Widow speakers handled the steel guitar frequencies very well when they were manufactured. Unfortunately, the Nashville 112E cabinets were short lived due to the lack of players who wanted this type of speaker configuration. The size and porting of the cabinet also has a lot to do with how it reacts in that application. With such a small market, it is very difficult for a company to continue items that typically do not sell well.

terryb

St. Helena, CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2000 8:31 pm    

Thanks, Ollie and Mike, for the input. I got an email from another guy who says that the new Nashville 2000 has a stereo mixer with extension speaker output. I may look into that.

Ollie, what is it like playing steel in Finland? Is Country music well accepted over there?
TerryB

Dennis Wood

Savannah, TN USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 3:59 am    

I have a stereo 212 that i replaced the stock speakers with 12" JBL,s dont remember the numbers but it sounds great with good bottom and plenty of headroom. THe only downside is that it weighs a ton. I leave the 212 set up at Church and use my nashville 400 when i play out.

[This message was edited by Dennis Wood on 26 September 2000 at 05:01 AM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2000 5:13 am    

Terry,
The Session "2000" has the digital processor in the front end of the amp and the Nashville "1000" has the analog front end. I mention this because so many people get the name wrong and could possibly order the wrong amp.