The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  roland Gk-2 pickup use on steel??
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2000 7:57 am    

Anyone out there using a Roland Gk-2 pickup for the GR-1 or other roland guitar synths? I have one here I would like to try on steel. If you have used one with sucess, let me know about it. I play D-10 steel with E9th & C6th, what neck do you use it on. anyone having a comment, please make it all help on this would be apreciated. this thing is great on straight guitar, but I think I could enjoy this on steel even more, since steel is my main interest.
Thanks in advance!!
Ernie http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75

------------------

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 6:30 am    

Hi Ernie:
I use a Korg Z3 six guitar synth pickup that is virtually the same as the Roland GK-2 pickup. What you will find when using this type of pickup on a steel guitar is the string spacing not the same and you will have to slant the pickup under the strings on a steel guitar. The radius on the six string pick up is such that it matches the radius on a fret board of a six string guitar and the radius of a steel guitar neck is dead flat.
With that said, you can get the six string guitar synth pickup to operate but it is very sensitive to placement & position. Although, placing the pickup at an angle is cumbersome and may get in the way of your picking. The Steel Rider pickup unit has a flat radius and can be installed out of the way. I tried to have a pickup made without success but I am always looking for any possible appraoch to guitar synth for steel guitar. The Steel Rider pickup will track all the strings on a steel guitar and obviosly the six string pickup will not. I place the six string pickup under strings 3 through 8. I hope this has been helpful.

[This message was edited by Len Amaral on 04 September 2000 at 07:30 AM.]

[This message was edited by Len Amaral on 04 September 2000 at 07:31 AM.]

[This message was edited by Len Amaral on 04 September 2000 at 07:35 AM.]