The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans lv 500 Fet???
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2000 9:33 am    

I saw this amp for sale on consignment in a store yesterday. I have tried out a few Evans amps over the years and liked most of them pretty well. (There were a couple that were too bright). This amp has a JBL K130 and looks very clean. The asking price is $499.00 but I know I can do better. I would appreciate any comments from y'all.
I've been stumbling on all of these cool amps all of a sudden. I need to stay out of the music stores! Then a friend let me borrow an old Session 400 that he had riding around in his equipment trailer. I had forgotten how good these can sound. So I'm trying to get him to sell it....

It never ends!!!

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2000 5:33 am    

Tommy, I owned an amp like that for about 18 years and it was very good. Nice seperation on the notes, almost transparent mids and kick-ass bass notes. $500. is a pretty good price.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2000 5:41 am    

I've seen them sell between $450 and $650, so $499 (or better) is pretty good!

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2000 6:53 pm    

Tommy, The 500LV I understand is not being built any more. That one could have a lot of age on it. I just sold one for 400.00 about 6 months ago. Good sounding amp but if I were buying I wouldn't pay over 350.00 and it would have to look & play like new. Buck

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2000 4:25 am    

I had a lot of reverb problems with my Stevens built FET500. I sold it to Tiny Olson for $180 2 years after paying $750 for it. Immediately after delivery, i called the builder and he admitted they were having problems with the reverb and I finally gave up after an endless procession of reverb tanks. The reverb never had any depth and always howled.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2000 6:28 am    

Darrell built my FET-500 LV back in the early 1980's. It's still going strong and sounds as wonderful as ever. I wonder when it was that he was having reverb problems.

By the way, mine has the large cabinet. Darrell always felt the larger cabinet had a better tone than the small cabinet.

Lee, from South Texas