The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New type of POT-Jack
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 5:25 pm    

This is especially for Jack Stoner. Jack, Clarostat is making a POT that looks just like steel guitar pots. It does not have hot molded carbon inside, it is a Hall Effect Rotary Sensor. Go to the Clarostat web-site: www.clarostat.com ,and look up the HRS100 Hall Effect Rotary Sensor. I am looking at a ad in a electronics magazine right now, and I see one of these HRS100's It looks just like a steel guitar pot. It says the cycle life is 10 million. It also has programmable offset and gain control! Jack I'm not kidding! If you don't find it on their web site, I'm going to mail you this printed ad. Well, Jack what do you think about that?

------------------

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2000 9:11 pm    

Keith....

Quote fron the ad:
It replaces a pot when used as a position sensor feeding voltage-controlled equipment, but NOT when the pot is used directly in a resistive mode, such as a volume control or rheostat (two-wire) device.

I looked at that HF sensor.. It is a device used in industrial gear. It's primary use is : Feedback & Control. It has no path for AC signal (That is what the PU's generate)to get to the amp.

The thought was good tho, but isn't ideal for sound equipment. Mostly used for position-ing and placement of vales, levers, and level indicators.

(I,in no way speak for Mr. Jack Stoner, I just saw your post and as I too, am suppose to be somewhat of an Electronics Tech, was interested in a Hall-Effect pot that worked as a carbon Resistor pad.)

The devise is,(like the ad states) a position sensor and sends back to a controller, any change in position (vector) or placement.

(If I've stepped on a toe or something here, I apologize. I realize I didn't start this tread.)

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 25 July 2000 at 10:27 PM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 2:50 am    

I didn't look at the specs on the unit. But from Keith and Bill's description I would say it's not a viable option for volume pedals. You couldn't use it as a direct replacement. If it could be used, you would have to build an electronic amp that would use that device as the controller inside the amp. You can control the gain of a device with a dc control line, (voltage controlled amp ?) which is how this device, apparently, would be used.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 26 Jul 2000 12:23 pm    

Bill and Jack, you both hit the nail on the head. I should of looked further. It is DC voltage control and would work fine for control of a VCA amp. There would be no advantage, because a carbon pot can also be used for this purpose, even if it is scratchy. Just put a capacitor in the voltage control port to ground, and the scratchy pot sound goes away in the VCA.
Well, you can't blame me for trying. I am always thinking!

------------------

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2000 1:10 pm    

Keith, there are still pots being made that are designed for one million cycles, far more than the best Clarostat units. If anyone is seriously interested, I'll give them the company's name, and they can take it from there!

Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2000 10:49 pm    

You might check out http://www.bourns.com/fsDefault.htm

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2000 4:48 pm    

Just checked out that website again, and the company says they make pots with a rotational life of up to fifty million cycles. (That should get the job done!)

Yes...that's right...FIFTY MILLION!!!

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2000 8:56 pm    

Donny, wonder what one of those baby's would set you back, in a 500K Log Taper pot? I'll bet it is around $300.00 By the way, if the sound gets scratchy, and there are pops and cracks in 3 months, wonder if Clarostat would give your money back?

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 31 July 2000 at 09:59 PM.]

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2000 4:47 am    

Keith....

Most Electronic (and Electrical) part houses will NOT accept back any device that shows signs of been installed, Any pot or control that shows solder on the connections/lugs is automaticly rejected. This is to protect the next purchaser of that device. About the only outfit I know that will take back a device after signs of use is the World famous RS chain. And in general, most parts only have a 30 day warrenty on them. Even your new T.V. After that, you pay for the parts, The Co eats the labour, (which they charge back to the T.V. Manafacture)

Donny's e-mail to me about this pot got waylaid somehow so I think I would be wrong to make any kind of a statement about it at this point.

After reading this post, I need to say:

"If the device is found to be defective upon installation, The parts house WILL exchange it for another one of same product at no cost to the customer." This is only natural, and acceptable to most customers.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 01 August 2000 at 05:53 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2000 7:47 pm    

Keith, I seriously doubt the pots would cost $300! Nobody would pay $300 for a simple volume control...would they?