The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10k vs. 500k pot pedal?
Billy Macon

CA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 11:52 am    

Is there a significant difference between a 500k and a 10k volume pedal?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 1:06 pm    

the goodrich 10k pedals change the line signal to low impedance and really do improve the sound quality by being cleaner
sounding......i bought one after i compared my friends 10k with my 500k on my rig. the best thing to do is find one to borrow just for a minute and compare it to yours with your steel and amp. i still keep the old pedal in the car for emergencies...they are dependable and don't sound that bad!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2000 2:17 pm    

The Goodrich 10K model pedal basically has a matchbox built into it. By controlling the volume level in the matchbox, instead of the raw signal they can use a different size pot. If you already have a matchbox or similiar device that you use, you don't need the 10k model volume pedal. Also, the 10k model cannot be used with the "3 cable" hookup (guitar directly to the amp input and the volume pedal in the effects loop).

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 9:06 pm    

The tone is more consistent throughout the travel of the 10k pedal. It maintains the highs at the lower volumes.

This isn't always a good thing. For example, when I do Hank Williams shows on my Stringmaster, I rely on the 500k pedal to muffle the highs when I'm "in the background", and bring them up when I solo. This is how the old records sound, and we are trying to sound very authentic in the Country All-Stars.

But most of the time I prefer the 10k. Gotta freshen up the 9 volt battery once a year or so, though.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session S-12 (E9), Speedy West D-10 (E9, D6),
Sierra 8 Laptop (D13), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (D13, A6)

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 9:12 pm    

Jack: Why is the three cable hook-up unworkable with the 10K pedal?

Thanks.
-----------------
Jeff

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2000 11:34 pm    

I use my Goodrich L10K volume pedal in the efx loop of my Boss GX-700 efx box, and it works fine.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 3:06 am    

I found that with the pedal in the efx loop on the Nashville 400, I got distortion and it took most of the body (tone) out of the signal.

I've never measured the signal out of the efx loop to see what level it's at, just from personal experience and I've talked to several others at St Louis two years ago and they said the same thing. There was a thread on this subject on here about a year ago and several commented that it didn't work well in the efx loop too. The guy I sold the L10K Pedal to tried it on his system (an MSA and Session 400 amp) and the 3 cord didn't work on his either.

My setup when I tried the L10K was guitar to MatchBro (which has a matchbox type device in the bypass mode) to several rack type effects to an MXR Microamp (which reamplified the guitar signal as there was some loss through the effects) and then to the Nashville 400 input, and then the L10K in the effects loop.