The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker ---- 1501,04,08
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2000 7:02 am    

Hello Mike....

I quote you:

"If your Session 500 has the stock BW speaker, it is a original 1501-4 DT basket, which we don't manufacture with a paper cone any longer."

Question here please.

If the paper cone basket isn't no longer avalable,
1) What is the cone made of ??
2) Is it that new plastic type material?
3) Does it have the same warm sound as the paper cone?
4) Can the paper cone basket be gotten for any speaker basket now?
5) Can the plastic (or what-ever material) still go down and get that low hz sound without sounding like a wasp trying to get out of a bag?

I ask these questions because I had the opertunity to play an amp being pushed by a local dealer,that had a "New" type cone in it (No, It wasn't a "Peavey", which I own 3 of) and it definatly didn't have the "voiceing" of a transducer with a paper cone.

Is this what all the new speakers are going to?

(IMOHO) I should hope not !!

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 9:08 am    

Hello Bill,
Thanks for inquiring about our Peavey transducer line of components.

All Black Widow and Scorpion speakers that we manufacture at this time have the Kevlar impregnated cone material. This is not a "plastic" material, but a material that stiffens and allows the cone to resist distortion characteristics with no noticable change in the voicing of the speaker.

The only paper cone Black Widow that we manufacture at this time is the 1501-4ohm shallow basket, which was specifically designed and voiced for steel. Later Nashville 400 models and all of the Session 2000, Nashville 1000 and PX300 powered extension cabinets incorporate the 1501-4 ohm paper cone speakers. The remaining models utilizing the Kevlar material have definitely been an improvement for applications such as bass, keyboard and public address sound systems.

All of the Peavey MI amps that use our Sheffield speaker models have paper cones.

If you have questions, I can be reached toll free at 1-877-732-8391. I look forward to speaking with you. Please call me to clarify any questions that you have about our transducers.

------------------

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 03 July 2000 at 10:16 AM.]

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2000 5:04 pm    

"...wasp trying to get out of a bag..." Love it! I had to literally LOL.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 6:45 am    

Mike Brown.....

Thank you for your timely reply to my questions. Your answers was(is) very encouraging to me and other PSG players who feel the "PEAVEY" brand is the standard to test all others by.

We really belive in your (PEAVEY) products and appercicate(sp?) the support you and your Company provide us.

Again, Thanks for letting us know that the speakers will still be avalable in the paper cone series as some of us do belive "Paper" sounds better than "Kevlar".

Bill

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2000 8:12 am    

I think that it is time for me to get busy and write a brief "overview" of what speakers that we have used in our steel amps since the original Session 400/LTD 400 of the mid '70's. This will take a little time, but I think that it would be worth the effort in order to make everyone aware of what they are purchasing.

Thank you for your compliments and I hope to see you at the upcoming St. Louis Steel Guitar Convention this Labor Day. If you would like to speak to me, you may call me toll free in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391. In the meantime, keep the input coming.