The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  session amps
jon pope

atascadero, Ca. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 10:17 pm    

session 400 or 500. Any difference other than wattage?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 10:24 pm    

Yep, they sound totally different. Some poeple like the 500 but I prefer the old 400. The 500 is heavier, and has a coiple of wacko effects built in.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 2:58 am    

The EQ on the two amps is different. The Session 400 uses the "standard" passive/active EQ, where the Session 500 and the Nashville 400 use the Parametric EQ.

I like the Parametric EQ better. I had a 90 model Reissued Session 400 and I was never able to get the tone that I liked, compared to my Session 500 and later a Nashville 400.

It took me 5 years but I was finally able to get rid of the Session 400 (doesn't seem to be much of a market for them unless you want to give them away).

jon pope

atascadero, Ca. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 5:16 am    

Thanks for your help.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 6:17 am    

By the way . . .
. . . any of you guys looking to 'give away' those late 70s - early 80s 'original' Session 400 amps, I'll take any you want to throw my way.

I agree with Earnest re: Session 400 and 500. I too have one of each and to my ears the 400 is the best steel amp I've ever owned. The newer 400s have parametric midrange EQ similar to the 500 that I find difficult to dial in. I'll take the older ones any time.

LTB

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 19 June 2000 at 07:18 AM.]

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 6:35 am    

The Session 500 had three types of effects built in which were spring reverb, phase shifter and what was called a "sting effect". The spring reverb is still as popular as it has ever been, but the phase shift effect has not had the "staying power". However, you'll hear one being used on a new recording every once in awhile. The "string" effect was meant to emulate a fiddle.

Input from our customer base indicates that loyal Session 500 owners seem to overlook the weight of the amp for the "sound" that it can reproduce. Since we introduced the Nashville 1000, I've spoken with a few "500" users who are considering a switch to the "1000's".

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 1:59 pm    

I would take the Session 500. It is heavier, but I think the tone to my ear is quite a bit better. Also the reverb sounds better. I have had mine a long time and I wouldn't part with it. I just rarely take it out on a job. The new 1000 is by far the best sounding of all Peaveys, and also lighter. I love it. You just have to put a little delay on it and it comes alive.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 5:45 am    

Every player has his own "recipe" for making an amp work for him or her. Thanks for choosing Peavey.

Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 1:51 pm    

Mike Brown

I got the stuff in the mail. Thanks. The Nashville 1000 has an article dedicated to it on Peaveys web site but all the brochure gave me on the 2000 was dry db etc. My main question is, At all of my gigs, I play rhythm, lead and steel and I just want to use one amp. I read somewhere that the two inputs were independant of each other ( using the second doesn't pull down the first. If so then I could set some buttons for guitar and some for steel. Will it do this? Also I like the 2000? (smaller) of the midi controllers. I really want the Nashville 2000 but as list on the two units is about $1500.00, I would like to be sure it will do what I want it to before I commit.

Chuck

------------------
MCI D10 8/4 and ZumSteel S10
Nashville 400

[This message was edited by Chuck Hall on 21 June 2000 at 02:53 PM.]

Eddie Lange

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 2:38 pm    

I have a Early 70's 400 and it is fantastic coupled with my EMCI.

------------------
The Young Steelkid

Jim Florence

wilburton, Ok. US * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 8:39 pm    

I've got the 2000, and it's companion PX 300, I'm an old man and these amps have made Me come alive. I'm making sounds I've never heard before.Love it!!!!Played the Tulsa show and got lots of compliments
Jim

------------------

[This message was edited by Jim Florence on 24 June 2000 at 09:41 PM.]

Chuck Hall

Warner Robins, Ga, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2000 10:32 am    

Jim

Read my post a couple above. Can you comment. I'm fixing to order me one with the RC2000 controller. Anybody got that set up?

Chuck

------------------
MCI D10 8/4 and ZumSteel S10
Nashville 400

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 1:10 pm    

Chuck: I have the amp, and I think what you will find is, that when you plug both instruments in, that you no longer have a high and low gain input. I think they are probably both the same when two instruments are plugged in. I don't particularly notice a tone difference, only a volume difference, when I add the guitar with the steel. This will probably not be a problem for you, because all of your different programs will not be at the same level anyway. I'm not quite sure why this is though. It has something to do with the mix of the different effects that you have programed in a particular setting that you program. You will have 128 different programs that you can use, so you will have plenty for your steel and lead guitars and rhythm guitars, and fiddle, if you need them. I have about 25 programs for steel now, and that is probably enough, unless you really move around a lot on your shows. You can program for all the different buildings and locations that you play. I think that you will like the amp for the steel and lead guitars. I think it sounds really great with a Strat or Tele. I'm not much at fiddle, so I can't comment too much on that. I would hesitate to buy the remote again. I'm not sure that I will use mine. It's nice to have, in case you might want it, but it's fairly expensive, about $175. If I am going to use two amps, I will just put the 2000 at my right side, on a low, angled amp stand, and I can easily change programs without getting up or turning around, and have the other amp behind me. The remote is fairly large, and I use a Match-Bro, dobro effect, and that takes up all the room on the leg anyway. I am glad that I bought mine, and I wouldn't sell it back. I hope this helps. Just my opinion though and everbody likes different things. It will take a littel effort to program up sounds that you like. The only drawback that I have found is that there is some power hum, or hiss, although it is not unbearable.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 11:46 am    

Fred, when you plug two different instruments into the Session 2000, both inputs become "low gain" inputs.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 29 Jun 2000 5:41 am    

Bill, you will still get the full output power from the amps with the low sensitivity inputs. The "low gain" inputs on our amps are for active or very hot output pickups They are 6db lower in gain so that the front end is not clipped as easily.

I don't think that you will have a problem with being heard onstage. Let me know how you like them.

------------------

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2000 1:40 am    

If anyone out there has a 1974 session 400, I'll buy it if it's for sale?
DD

Hamilton Barnard

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2000 7:05 am    

I have a mid 70's Session 400 head only. It is in a custom cabinet with the reverb tank.

The amp was serviced two years ago. It is old looking but works fine. $150 firm plus freight from L.A.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 30 Jun 2000 1:14 pm    

Thanks for choosing Peavey steel guitar amps. You know that you can always find me here at Peavey if you have a question. Toll free at 1-877-732-8391 in the U.S.. I look forward to hearing from you about your steel gear.

Ric Epperle

Sheridan, Wyoming USA . Like no other place on Earth... R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2000 1:26 pm    

1976 Session 400.. Great amp!!! I think
I'll keep it....

P.S.. It hasn't missed a lick in all these years. I probably should think about changing the filters in it , one of these days, though it isn't humming or anything.

[This message was edited by Ric Epperle on 30 June 2000 at 02:31 PM.]