The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Amps
Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 9:09 am    

Anyone have any luck with Twin Reverbs or Vibrasonics? Ronnie at Fender Custom did a mod on my Vibrasonic, and it really brings my Zum D10 to life.

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 9:20 am    

For a while back in the 80's I used a silverface Twin that I put a 15" speaker in, and I believe that's what Ricky Davis is using these days.

I just got a hot-rodded '64 Fender Showman amp head that someone had installed a master volume pot on, and it sounds so sweet (if you like the vintage-style tone) sometimes I don't even use delay.

------------------
GFI S12U

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 11:05 am    

Kevin,
What was the mod that they did?

Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 12:53 pm    

He told me that the preamp section of the Vibrasonics coming off of the line were very inconsistent and noisy. Of the five different ones I tried, they all sputtered and coughed, but the one I settled on was the best.

He didn't tell me what he did exactly, and I probably wouldn't have understood it, but it worked. It's quiet as a church mouse. The Fender 15" speaker was a little bright, so I dropped a black widow in the cabinet.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 4:46 pm    

I used a 80 watt silver-face non-master volume 1971 twin with JBL's in the early 80's, which I traded for a Vibrosonic 1-15 (110 watt, I believe, with master volume). The Vibrosonic was cleaner, but still never clean enough for me at higher volumes (even with a EVM-1-15L speaker). If you are looking for sparkling clean, I think solid state is the way to go. This is a subjective matter, though.

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 5:53 pm    

I've got a blackface twin-soon to be modded to Cage's specs. The best, bar none.

John

------------------
Better Late than Never!
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel

Karl Nutt

Fayette City, PA U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 8:28 pm    

I've used a 135 watt Twin Reverb with a 15" JBL D-130 4ohm and absolutely love it. I need to repair the bias supply as of now. I've obtained a schematic for the Custom Vibrasonic and intend to modify the Normal Channel of my Twin to be like the Steel Channel of the Vibro (including reverb on both channels). I also use an Evans FET 500 LV and like it a whole bunch too. I should have my new Nashville 1000 by next weekend, then the showdown starts!

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 7:47 am    

Karl, it is my understanding that the "steel" channel of the Custom Vibrasonic is simply a twin channel, while the "guitar" channel is the hepped-up one. Maybe it is different...

And Kevin, mine is noisy as the Fender guys told you, wish I knew what they did to fix it! Otherwise I love the amp(except for the weight).

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 9:23 am    

Quote:
it is my understanding that the "steel" channel of the Custom Vibrasonic is simply a twin channel, while the "guitar" channel is the hepped-up one.

I was under the impression that it was the other way around. I have a Custom Vibrasonic that has been re-tube in both the pre- and power-amp sections and it's very quiet and sweet. The steel channel is clean up to any volume that I can stand, but the guitar channel definately will begin to break up at lower volume.

I use this amp almost exclusively with my '66 Emmons, and I stay with a stereo rack system with my all-pull. The Fender is great.

Karl Nutt

Fayette City, PA U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 5:31 pm    

The steel channel on the Custom Vibrasonic has a little less gain do to the way that the first stage of the first 12AX7's cathode is wired. This is why it would be cleaner. I don't have the schematic right here in front of me, but I'll check out the details and follow up with you guys.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 5:40 pm    

Fender Amps- WOW!! I still have my two Fender Bassman amps, the ones with the four ten inch speakers (Jensen). Bought them in the fifties when they first came out. No reverb either. Used two way back then with a Webcor recorder that I added additional playback heads on and drove the second amp with that delayed signal. Still do that today but the Fenders are retired as I use two Derrell Stephens manufactured Evans amps with two 15" extension cabinets. Every day I walk past those two Fenders and have lots of good memories. (Santo and Johnny, Bud Isaccs, Alvino Rey, Jerry Byrd, Speedy West, "Jangles" Rhinehart, Jimmy Bryant, Herb Remington were all popular then. And you know what, when each of them took a break, we could really tell who was playing). That sold a lot of records for the singers.
Thanks for the memories.
Bill Stafford

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2000 10:50 pm    

I found a wonderful '69 or '70 silverface Dual Showman Reverb Amp head (no master volume) a few years ago. I then built a custom fit solid walnut cabinet to house the amp and a 15" Evans speaker. I absolutely love it. The cabinet looks kind of like a Boogie, dovetails and all, but she's all Fender (and well, Evans). I will probably try a JBL D-130 when I can find one. I will show the amp on my website (under construction) at http://www.wpro1/utilitymanproductions soon. I play a lot of different instruments and this amp sounds great with all of them, steels, fiddles, guitars, you name it, I always get the sound I am looking for. I love my Evans rigs too, but this amp is pure magic. Gonna have to build another one so I can play stereo, LOL.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92EMMONS D10 LEGRANDE,
'85 60DS DOBRO, '95 MELOBAR CUSTOM.
Evans, Fender, and Mesa Boogie Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 5:07 am    

you fergot the dot.com here's the corrected link:
http://www.wpro1.com/utilitymanproductions/

By The Way- I love the utilityman logo!!

Kevin Post

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 8:54 am    

Chris and Steve,

The steel side contains a 12AT7 tube, which makes it less gainy and more clean. The guitar side is essentially a twin reverb preamp.

I always play steel through the guitar side and set the volume on six. This gives the amp some real character. You can't really use it unless you're in a studio, or you have a great monitor system. The tone is fat, but the volume ain't there. In small clubs, people always ask me to turn up. It can't drive a whole room.

Michael T. Hermsmeyer

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 12:31 am    

Thanks Dave, my mistake. The correct URL is http://www.wpro1.com/utilitymanproductions
You will have better luck going through Internet Explorer. I'm glad you like the logo. Michael T.

------------------
UTILITY MAN PRODUCTIONS
'73 EMMONS D10 FATBACK, '92EMMONS D10 LEGRANDE,
'7? Sho-Bud Pro 1 S-10, '85 60DS DOBRO,
'95 MELOBAR CUSTOM. Evans, Fender,
and Mesa Boogie Amps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 5:37 pm    

Quote:
I always play steel through the guitar side and set the volume on six. This gives the amp some real character...The tone is fat, but the volume ain't there.

Kevin, are we talking about the same amp? I usually use the guitar channel for the steel too(prefer the beefiness), but on SIX???? And I thought my band's volume got out of hand!

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 6:06 pm    

I hear you. Volume on 6 and I would probably have to install hurricane clips on my roof rafters.