The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Brown--Help!
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 10:36 am    

this makes me think we ought to have a separate forum category....Questions for the Peavey Amp God!....mike, i've got a nashville 400 that developed a fairly loud ground type hum, actually a little more growl and distortion, very noticable when pressing down on the volume pedal. we'd been playing in 100 degree weather outside all week and my compresser light had been staying on occassionally. what should i check first? luckily my trusty LTD 400 was next to it so i finished the week with it. i go back and forth with these amps (by the way, i love them) when one acts up i use the other til it acts up, then i go back to the first one which generally has healed itself by then. whaddayathink?? thanx for all the valuable knowledge you share with us. youre a god!

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 12:51 pm    

Amps don't heal themselves; It is science, not magic. It is probably a power supply problem or maybe, a power amp problem. About 90% of all problems in SS amps are one or the other. Take it to a qualified tech and make sure he looks at the filter caps.
Good luck,
Bob

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 3:26 pm    

thanx bob,...but if you have really really good karma, they can heal themselves.....really!!!

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2000 5:50 am    

Chris...

Quote: "but if you have really really good karma, they can heal themselves.....really!!! "

Karma ain't got nothing to do with it...
listen to Bob Metzger and pay heed..

You are on the edge of complete failure of two (2) amps. Have them both fixed or you better start carrying a 3rd amp with you.

"Been there,Done that, Got the hat"

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 12:34 pm    

Hello Chris,
I'm flattered by your comments, but in no way do I consider myself anything other than just a musician who has been lucky enough to be employed by at a place that manufactures the tools for a musician.

I do have a few questions for you concerning the symptoms of the problem. Do you use reverb or is the reverb turned up when this hum happens? If so, it could be a loose ground connection in the reverb harness or reverb circuit or maybe just a bad reverb pan.

Can you wiggle the input jacks and cause this problem? Do both input jacks exhibit cause static or become intermittent when wiggled? Can you plug a shielded patch cable from the PRE AMP OUT on the back panel of the amp to the PWR. AMP IN and make the problem show itself? Can you make this same patch procedure between the SEND and RETURN jacks(pre eq patch) on the front panel of the amp and make the problem show itself? Is the signal intermittent when the cabinet is tapped on the top?

When you connect a shielded guitar cable from the BOOSTER output jack on the LTD 400 to the PWR. AMP IN jack on the Nashville 400, does the problem show itself? If so, the problem with your "400" is either in the BW speaker or the power amp of the Nashville.

Call me with a bit more information about the symptoms and maybe we can narrow the search down. I can be reached at 1-877-732-8391 8AM through 5:30PM Monday through Friday CST. I'll be awaiting your call.

Thanks for using Peavey products.

[This message was edited by Mike Brown on 29 June 2000 at 06:53 AM.]