Author Topic:  Increasing low end
Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 1:58 pm    

How can I get more lows out of my Zum?

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 4:11 pm    

Joe,what pickup are you using?What is your amplifier,and its setting?

------------------
Jerry Wallace-Zum,D-10,8+8,Zum,D-10,8+5 ,Nashville 1000,Webb 6-14e,tubefex,profexII, ARTESIA, NEW MEX

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 9:41 pm    

I don't know where you are at with your playing or anything but what I did a while back was work on my picking hand.

I used the crappiest little amp I could find and turned off all the mids and lows. No reverb. Then I practiced like that for a few months. I would try to get a full round sound out of that thing. Really helped my ability to control my tone alot.

Bob

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 9:21 am    

Start with bass on 10, and middle and treble on 0. Then increase middle and treble until you have the sound you want.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 4:59 pm    

Good advice, b0b, My 2 cents worth. I always put my bass on 10, then do as Bobby says, increase the treble and mid, until I get the sound I want. It works too!...al

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 6:12 pm    

Thanks guys. I suppose I'm what you'd call a professional. Been playing for 20 some years, live and sessions, the usual stuff. I just haven't been much of a tech head over the years. I've also been happy with the Zum until I bought a P/P with wood necks. Now I realize how thin the bottom on the Zum is. I did have an Emmoms single coil from an Le Grande I used to have and put that in the Zum. Got a gig on Wednesday and will see how that sounds. Normally I run the lows on 10 with the Nashville. So, I'm just trying to fatten it up without muddying it up. Duane Dunard said to get a Bill Lawrence L-710. What's the word on those? Thanks.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 3:13 am    

If the Nashville 400 you have is an older one and doesn't have either the Peavey factory tone mod or the Lemay mod, that is a lot of your problems, not the Guitar. A Nashville 400 with a tone mod is like a different amp. I tried a new non modified Nashville 400 and it was crap - no lows and all highs. The modified Nashville 400 has all the lows you want and still has the highs but not as "cold".

I have a friend with a D-10 Zum with the stock pickups and I think it sounds great through a modified Nashville 400 - and the bass does not have to be set on 10. I have a Franklin D-10 with the Lawrence 710 pickups. We both have Nashville 400's with the Peavey factory mod and we set our amps about the same. Low on +6, Parametric EQ on 800Hz and about -3, and the high and presence on +3 and pull-bright switch off. I have another friend with a new Emmons Legrande II with Lawrence 710's and that's where he sets his Nashville 400 amp (with factory mod) too.

Those Nashville 400 (with factory mod) settings are fairly common and parallel's what Mike Brown (Peavey) says is the most common settings.

Dean Brown

Austin, Tx.
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 4:53 am    

Hi Joe, I play a Williams (Lawrence 710s) through a Nashville 1000. In some rooms I have the same problem, not enough on the low end. To compensate I use a Boss EQ pedal and adjust it to each room. Since I've started using it I"ve been able to always get the sound I'm looking for. Sometimes I don't use it at all, but it depends on the club, the stage, location of my amp, is there a full moon, etc.....

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 5:45 am    

Hi Joe,

I am a Zum player as well. My suggestion would be to try a different amp or a different speaker. I never liked the sound of a Nashville with my Zum or any steel other for that matter. I am currently using a Tubeworks amp, Evans preamp, and EV speakers and I think the tone is well balanced from high to low. Good luck on that never ending search for tone.

Joe Savage

St. Paul, MN
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 9:39 am    

Jack,
How do I get one of the Peavey tone mod kits? I understand they are less expensive than the LeMay mods. Joe Savage

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 10:52 am    

Call Mike Brown (or maybe the Peavey parts department). Mike's Phone number is 1-877-732-8391.