The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Voltage controlled oscillators and amps.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 6:13 pm    

I suppose you could say the Moog Synthesizer was the "Grandfather" of all modern effect units. The Moog came out in 1964, and soon after this there were all kinds of effects and effect units being produced. From 1964 until the late 1970's there were all kinds of electronic articles relating to electronic alteration of music tones. Most of the devices centered around voltage controlled oscillators, and amps, used to create new and different sounds . I was wondering if anyone knows of any books still in print on this subject. Does anyone remember any really good magazine articles? I can go to the University Library ,and they have copies of old magazines. Does anyone have any books or magazines on this subject they want to sell?

------------------

[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 18 June 2000 at 07:17 PM.]

Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2000 11:30 pm    

Log on to the website of Sound on Sound Mag. www.sospubs.co.uk
You will have to struggle with their search engine, but on there you will find all their back issues, including all the story of synth development, from VCOs to Physical Modelling and Granular Synthesis in a series call "Synth School"

------------------
Cheers!

Mark Amundson

Cambridge, MN USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 1:16 pm    

Consider doing like I do and subscribe to the synth-diy and analog heaven list servers. Yeah, you get daily about a hundred e-mails, but you can browse the titles and delete the chaff.

Most of my cherished d-i-y synth books are long out of print. All this technology still applies to instrument effects design. People like Tom Henry, Craig Anderton, and John (PAiA) Simnoton are founders of this hobby.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 5:01 pm    

Mark how do you subscribe? I am familiar with all the guys you mentioned. If I could do it, thats all I would do,-- experiment. At one time ,I had about a $40.00 a day parts habit, caused by experimenting.

------------------

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 5:17 pm    

Dave, I found the stuff. I just typed in Voltage Controlled Oscillators, and it all came up. Guess what, a company is making a copy of the old Moog Synthesiser in England.