The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EV "Force" speakers compared with JBL, Black Widow
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 8:22 pm    

A few months back, I replaced the JBL E-130's in my steel cabinets with Electro-Voice Force 15's, primarily because the JBL's were just too heavy for me to carry around anymore. I've been very happy with the sound and performance of these EV speakers. Recently, I had a chance to do a direct A-B comparison with the EV, JBL, and Peavey Black Widow.

The test: Three identical cabinets, one with the EV (8 ohm), one with a JBL K-130 (8 ohm), and one with a Black Widow 1501 (4 ohm). I would like to have had an E series JBL for this comparison as well, but none were available at the time. The cabinets are a design that Doug Jones and myself got together and built; a pair for each of us.

We listened to the speakers one at a time and in various combinations with Doug's rig (Emmons Legrande, Evans preamp, Stewart power amp). Here are my impressions, hopefully not biased due to the fact the EV's are mine, as I've owned and used all these speaker models at one time or another.

The JBL K-130 had a nice, full sound, nice lows, crisp highs. Not a lot of midrange presence.

The Black Widow was darker, more hollow, or "boxy" sounding than the JBL. Interestingly, the volume was only slightly greater with the Black Widow, despite this being the only 4 ohm speaker of the group.

The EV was the best of the three, in a way that I can only describe as more "musical". Close to the sound of the JBL, but more balanced; nice highs without being brittle, nice lows without losing definition, very smooth throughout.

In terms of weight, the Peavey is the heaviest, followed closely by the JBL K-130. The EV's seem pretty light. The JBL E-130's I used to have were at least ten pounds heavier per speaker than the EV's. One question mark that remains for me with the EV's is power handling capacity. They are rated at 150 watts, which makes them potentially less rugged than a Black Widow, but then, very few musical instrument speakers are as sturdy as a Black Widow. In practice, with my amp at 200 watts per side at 8 ohms, I've had no problems, and I sometimes get pretty loud at stage volume. Even when kicking out a lot of low C6 notes, I've had no complaints from these speakers so far.

The EV Force series is currently the only musical instrument speaker in EV's line. It's not as massive and heavy as previous EV models I've seen (EVM?), but I'm compeletly sold on them. They are available in 10", 12", and 15", 8 ohm only.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2000 6:13 am    

It would be very, very difficult(if not impossible) to distinguish a volume increase using the same amount of power when powering both a 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker. One would have to double the power to obtain a 3db increase, which is barely audible.

All elements must be the same in order to get accurate results on a level playing field.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2000 7:16 am    

How do the EV's compare in efficiency and power handling capability? In other words, can you play them really loud?

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2000 9:10 am    

I have used them in various venues, including outdoors without sound reinforcement, and I've turned them up as loud as I would ever want to play, without a problem. I suppose I won't know what the "real world" power handling capacity of the EV's, used in a steel guitar application, is until I blow one up someday. So far, they have taken everything I could throw at them without any sign of fatigue.

By the way, I don't mean to diss any of these other speakers in this comparison. It's certainly possible to get a good sound out of any of them, I just find the EV more pleasant overall. This was not a scientific evaluation, just my subjective impressions. A speaker that sounds good in a living room might not necessarily be the most desirable thing on the bandstand, but the EV's work for me.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2000 9:49 pm    

Jerry...

EV still makes the EVM12L, which is a 12", 300-watt lead guitar speaker (similar to the old EVM-SRO series). But they don't make a comparable 15" unit. I have used the EVM15B, which is a bass speaker, with good results...reduced, but acceptable highs, and rock-solid bass. I don't know how the newer line of 15" EV bass speakers (such as the DL) would work, though.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 10:55 am    

I just bought a pair of brand new EVM-12's. I haven't put them into cabinets yet, but I'm anxious to hear them. They are rated at 300 watts RMS, 1200 watts peak!

I've always liked the sound of EV instrument speakers. They have a good frequency balance for guitar or steel.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 6:24 pm    

Bob,

You will like those EVM-12L's that you recently purchased. I have been using them for years in various enclosures and think they are great.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 9:31 pm    

For a completely other viewpoint, I like Celestion built speakers quite a lot. I've used a few THD 10" and 12" speakers (built by Celestion to THD specs) and like them a lot for steel. THe combination of JBL or PV speakers plus the Celestions is very nice. The Celestions have a warmth that I can't get from the BW or JBL, especially when driven by a tube amp (I mean driven hard). I do like the BW and JBLs, though, and consider the E series JBLs equivalent to the Black Widows.

I had a tiel cabinet with an EV SRO that I never cared for very much. Too hi fi sounding. A friend of mine had a Session 400 that he put two EV SROs in, one which had been reconed with an aluminum dist ruffle. It sounded unbelievable, especially for jazz.

I need to try some newer EVs.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 6:23 am    

I have been using EVM12L's for about 16 years now and still love them. I agree that they are a very musical speaker, very smooth without the brittleness that sometimes is present in JBLs. For a 12" speaker, the only thing I've found that gets even close is the Celestion Vintage 30's and they don't have the smoothness of bottom-end that the EVs have. Bob, I think you should find that you really like those speakers. I've got a cabinet with a JBL M series 15, which is very similar to the old D130s, and it sounds good, but there's something special when I hook up an EV12L with the steel. The only bad thing is that, like the JBL K series and Black Widows, they weigh a ton, especially when you put them in a Twin or equivalent.