The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions for Jeff Peterson re: POD preamp
John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2000 7:58 pm    

Jeff: I read your endorsement of the Line 6 POD and it sounds like a great solution to the tone (and other) dilemmas we find ourselves in.

It would be great to set up and just carry this little red thing onstage and dial up great tone. Our keyboard player(s) do this so why not us, huh?

So, if you decide to run the thing with speakers, do you just need a power amp and speaker cabinet? If you have a stereo amp, can you run the thing in stereo using two speakers?

I'm looking at a Hafler 150 amp which is, I think, stereo amp with 150W per side or 300W bridged. Would this suffice, along with my EV 15 speaker? It's an 8 ohm spkr., would a 4 ohm Peavey BW be better?

How much control over EQ does it provide for? Do you recommend adding a graphic in line with the POD or is this even possible?

Lastly, do you have any programs you can share with good PSG tones? I understand the software that comes with the POD allows you to configure (on your PC) all sorts of tones not programmed into the POD, presumably great CLEAN tones just for steel.

Your thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, Jeff.

John Russell

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2000 5:14 am    

Since I have a Pod, I thought I'd help answer some of your questions. Yes, all you need is a power amp and speakers, and it can be run in stereo. It will drive a Hafler power amp just fine. With the new version 2 software you can fine-tune the amp sound for whether you are using an open back or closed back cabinet. As to what EQ is available, the Pod has 32 different amp models. Each one operates similar to the amp being modeled, with Treble, Mid, and Bass controls. Where the original didn't have a control, they put in a control which functions like an outboard EQ where midpoint is no change. For most amps there is also a bright switch. Effects-wise, it has compression, delay, chorus, rotary(not very good), tremolo, and a few others I can't remember. If their Floorboard had the pedals on the left side, then you would have access to volume pedal, wah, and individual switching of volume boost, drive boost, effect on/off, reverb on/off, preset switching, and the built-in tuner. Unfortunately, all that stuff gets in the way of all the pedals. There is a possibility that if you're using a single neck with 3 or 4 pedals it might clear them. With version 2 software, a lot of things are easier to get at than with the original software plus you get 4 more amp models. Hope that helps out.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2000 7:59 pm    

Thanks, Michael.

I tried the setup tonight as described and could not get a decent "steel guitar tone." I didn't have time to go through all amp models but did use the clean (Jazz Chorus 120) setting with a little reverb and delay.

I then went back to my old home setup with the Fender Stage 160 and stompboxes and got my old tone back. Maybe I need to play with it some more. The POD is really designed for guitarists who are seriously into various flavors of distortion, which is cool for guitar. Let's see who else is using it.

John Russell

Sutton Reid

Sebastopol, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2000 8:54 am    

I like the Pod, but I bought a Boss GT3, one of Roland's versions of amp modeling. I think it is worth looking at and they also make a more expensive GT5. Two of the reasons I picked the Boss over the Pod: 1) Comes in a heavy duty floor case with switching and expresion pedal built in (extra with Pod) and 2) More control over (and better sounding, IMO) effects and effect chain.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2000 5:58 pm    

I'm sorry for taking so long, but out tour is starting, and I've been spending 12 to 14 hours a day for the last week and a half in rehearsals.
While we were at SoundCheck in Nashville, Line6 had an open house in the next hall and I ran into Dan Dugmore, Pat Severs, Jimmy Christensen, and Bruce Bouton dropped by too. The new rack mounted Pod Pro is available now, and has many, many more features adjustable on the face without using a computer....very nice.
For steel sounds, you just need to be real careful with the 'drive' control, and you should be able to use any of the amp models except the obvious crunch and rectified types.
I use my Pod mainly for lap steel and dedicated 'specialty' sounds right now, for my other settings, I use a Peavey TubeFex. Alone, or together, there are a multitude of sounds available, and just tons of fun.
The Pod is definitely limited to the combinations of effects you can use. The Peavey is always ready with lots of different programs. I use the Pod in the Peavey's effects-loop.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 1:47 pm    

I use the pod live some , but mainly for studio work and Practice- I have the pod in a small metal briefcase thing along with a portable CD player, going into a small Rolls headphone mixer. I can use any of the play-along CDs as well as regular albums for silent practice in the back of the band bus- it's really great- except for having to swipe it back from the guitar and bass players... You do have to mess around a bit to get the best sound, but don't you with anything?

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro